E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Registered User
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: they said the warning light is "on" and I told them this light wasnt on before my accident -- but they said it is from wear and tear so insurance wont cover it. What is this light mean?? anyone? :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
605 Posts
what is the Cam Sensor light? It's either CEL or SES and you need to read the codes thrown by OBDII to determine what is tripping the light. At least that's what I now from past E36/E46 problems of mine!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the sensors's function is. I think it let you know if the cam is'nt in the right place to get optimum power and efficiency out of the motor. The good news is the part is only around $80.00 from any BMW dealership. And there is a DIY install instuctions on the DIY forum. :thumbup:

ABE

·
Senior Registered User
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99328sedan said:
I'm not exactly sure what the sensors's function is. I think it let you know if the cam is'nt in the right place to get optimum power and efficiency out of the motor. The good news is the part is only around $80.00 from any BMW dealership. And there is a DIY install instuctions on the DIY forum. :thumbup:

ABE
awesome bro, you just made my day. That is exactly what the body shop said it was too-- make sure the engine is working fully and correctly. What is the part that is $80? the sensor?

·
Registered
155 Posts
AMG EATER said:
awesome bro, you just made my day. That is exactly what the body shop said it was too-- make sure the engine is working fully and correctly. What is the part that is $80? the sensor?
Yeah. Its the sensor itself. Get it from Pacific or Circle BMW. I think its a little cheaper there. :)

ABE

·
Senior Registered User
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
99328sedan said:
Yeah. Its the sensor itself. Get it from Pacific or Circle BMW. I think its a little cheaper there. :)

ABE
i am having trouble finding the DYI thread. Do you have the link handy?

thanks man for all your help! :thumbup:

·
Senior Registered User
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you think this is from WEAR AND TEAR or from my car accident that would trigger this light? Why didnt I see the warning light before the accident? :dunno:

·
Senior Registered User
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
niL said:
this part normally fails on E46's via just normal usage.
is it just the sensor that needs repair or something further? if the sensor is trigger then something bigger is wrong-- correct? :dunno:

since the light goes on to let you know if the cam is'nt in the right place to get optimum power and efficiency out of the motor-- does the cam have to be replaced?

·
is on da floor
2,739 Posts
AMG EATER said:
is it just the sensor that needs repair or something further? if the sensor is trigger then something bigger is wrong-- correct? :dunno:

since the light goes on to let you know if the cam is'nt in the right place to get optimum power and efficiency out of the motor-- does the cam have to be replaced?
the sensor just need's to be replaced, somehow these sensors seem to break all the time on E46's. the cam itslef should be just fine. if the sensor isnt working it manages to retard up the whole car since it cant propperly read what position the cam shaft is in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts