E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V, I think I ended up putting around 5 bottles in, doing the technique everyone else uses. It was done right.

Anyway, a week later, I was driving down the highway and my serpentine belt snapped, due to me not tightening the power steering pump bracket in all the way, forcing the belt to come off, so I coasted down the highway (to try to get to a safer place to pull over) When I peeked under my car, I saw that the transmission line was broke off from the connector. And I started the car back up and tried to move it, and it did not move, probably because there was no fluid inside the torque converter.

I filled it up today, repaired the broken hose, and filled the transmission all the way up with transmission fluid. put it in drive and reverse will filling it up as well. While the car is on a flat surface. While we were filling it up, I noticed the transmission icon had a gear icon and the gear I was in... ie Drive, Park, Neutral, Sport Drive. It had no manual selection though. I thought that it would turn off once I had it completely filled.

So I got the car off the jack stands, put it in gear, and tried to take off. Well the gear icon is still on. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes, and it was still on when I plugged it back in. I ended up driving it back home because it was still in my work parking lot, and I am planning on driving it back to work on monday, as there is a BMW tech shop right next to it to get it scanned.

I am just wondering what some peoples opinions or fixes are for this, Just kind of nervous because I really don't want to put another transmission into this car. I will post codes as soon as I get them, I know they are super important to get!

IT IS STILL IN SAFE MODE!!!

THE IMAGE IS NOT MY CAR, BUT WHAT THE TRANSMISSION ICON LOOKS LIKE.

Attachments

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,243 Posts
Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V, I think I ended up putting around 5 bottles in, doing the technique everyone else uses. It was done right.

Anyway, a week later, I was driving down the highway and my serpentine belt snapped, due to me not tightening the power steering pump bracket in all the way, forcing the belt to come off, so I coasted down the highway (to try to get to a safer place to pull over) When I peeked under my car, I saw that the transmission line was broke off from the connector. And I started the car back up and tried to move it, and it did not move, probably because there was no fluid inside the torque converter.

I filled it up today, repaired the broken hose, and filled the transmission all the way up with transmission fluid. put it in drive and reverse will filling it up as well. While the car is on a flat surface. While we were filling it up, I noticed the transmission icon had a gear icon and the gear I was in... ie Drive, Park, Neutral, Sport Drive. It had no manual selection though. I thought that it would turn off once I had it completely filled.

So I got the car off the jack stands, put it in gear, and tried to take off. Well the gear icon is still on. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes, and it was still on when I plugged it back in. I ended up driving it back home because it was still in my work parking lot, and I am planning on driving it back to work on monday, as there is a BMW tech shop right next to it to get it scanned.

I am just wondering what some peoples opinions or fixes are for this, Just kind of nervous because I really don't want to put another transmission into this car. I will post codes as soon as I get them, I know they are super important to get!

IT IS STILL IN SAFE MODE!!!

THE IMAGE IS NOT MY CAR, BUT WHAT THE TRANSMISSION ICON LOOKS LIKE.
You really need to post codes. Otherwise we're just wasting each other's time.

Edit : Because it could be something serious, or something as simple as an unplugged MAF or bad battery

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Get PA Soft Scanner version 1.4.x, read your error codes and then clear your codes.

Put at least 6 quarts into ypur transmission when you change out the fluid.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I had a similar problem after road debris had pietced yhe transmiision cooler.

I cleared the error codes with PA soft ver 1.40.1 and had a petfectly running transmission.

Start with the easy things to do!

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,732 Posts
Hey, I have a 2002 bmw 325i, with a ZF 5hp19 transmission, I recently changed out some of the transmission fluid with Valvoline MERCON V
On a side note, that Mercon V ATF you put in is not the correct fluid. According to Valvoline's application guide, it should be MaxLife Import Multivehicle ATF.
http://www.carquestprofessionals.co...F Application NON-Laminated Guide 6.10.13.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...rt-multi-vehicle-automatic-transmission-fluid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166135

I honestly just went off this guide honestly haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a hold of a cheap scanner, got something for gear 4 in the transmission part, cleared it. And now it runs better than when I first got the car. Problem solved, thanks guys!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts