BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
38,212 Posts
i have heard it doesnt get ALL the oil out, especially the oil at the bottom with the most junk in it that will hurt ur engine. maybe something good to use between 15k oik services, but i wouldnt use it as the only oil change on my car.

just my $.02, sounds like a very easy product to use, and a time saver!

-brendan

·
Registered
703 Posts
simsima325 said:
i have heard it doesnt get ALL the oil out, especially the oil at the bottom with the most junk in it that will hurt ur engine. maybe something good to use between 15k oik services, but i wouldnt use it as the only oil change on my car.

-brendan
Hey Bredan,

I have been using my Astro Oil extractor noe for almost a year, and have done 6 or so oil changes on my car, my wife Jeep, the inlaws BMW and Volvo,as well as a chevy tracker from time to time. I think I have even done a board member ot two's car also. Never in any of those cars has the extractor left oil in the pan. I'm telling you these things rock...

I have done so many different test to see if oil is being left in and every case the oil pan is almost dry.

i bought mine form Mytoolstore.com I understand they are sold out now, but they have a 6.5 liter(which we need for BMW) for $48. try searching Froogle.com as they show the best price for anything...

Good luck

John V

Maybe your friends need to get a better model extractor:dunno: :dunno:

Give me a shout brendan, we need to hook up again this spring. Plenty of shows this year, I'm sure. You can come down anytime and I'll let ya use the extractor:D

·
Dale Earnhardt's Double
535 Posts
The secret to success with the Topsider is...

Make sure the oil is warm/hot when you extract it. It comes out a lot faster and you get almost ever drop.

I don't put any stock into this argument about the crud in the bottom screwing things up. If you are doing regular, frequent oil AND filter changes (which you should be anyway) then there will be no significant build up of junk to worry about. Don't forget that oil holds these particles in suspension and that suspension is what you are extracting. Besides, the job of the filter is to remove these small particles anyway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
simsima325 said:

-brendan
You heard wrong. The filter gets the "junk" out or the engine would be in big trouble. As far as getting all the oil, read some professional tests/reviews on extractors and you'll find they do better than draining.

·
Dale Earnhardt's Double
535 Posts
Remember, these extractors were originally developed for use on boat motors. This is proven technology that's just recently been applied to automobiles. Same technique, same results.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I used it and it works great once you do it properly.

For example, I didn't close the hose clip all the way so there wasnt enough suction pressure to extract the oil. I have the original topside metal can which probably isn't the best. Actually I think I might have been the first on the board to use the top sider.

The problems that some people had was that they were putting their cars on jack stands like they were doing a pan oil change. You don't need to do that with the topsider, that's why they had oil left. Just follow the directions out of the box it's easy. Now for the first time, if you don't follow the directions like I did, it was cumbersome to come back and find that there was still oil. But you simply close the hose clip, pump 10 times, and the oil began extracting itself. It is also very important to extract the oil after running the car for a couple of minutes when it is warm/hot. Cold oil will be almost impossible to extract even when doing a pan job since some oil will still be in the top of the engine. Run the car for 3 minutes, turn it off and let the oil drop, then extract. This way your getting all the oil.

Don't believe the stuff about crud. If you had a car that used motor oil and not synthetic, then you would worry about crud. Otherwise the filter will catch any metal shavings in the oil. It's the filter that lasts 15000 miles per BMW not the synthetic additives! I use the topside in between BMW service oil changes.

Hope all that helps. Get it, its cheap and easy. Then you have to get off your lazy keyster and find somewhere to recycle the oil and not in a hole in the ground!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: I used it and it works great once you do it properly.

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:

Hope all that helps. Get it, its cheap and easy. Then you have to get off your lazy keyster and find somewhere to recycle the oil and not in a hole in the ground!
Jiffy Lube will take it. As well as most other quick change places. I believe they get $$ back on the recycling.

John V

1 - 9 of 9 Posts