E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, this is my second BMW 3 series and i'm getting tired of spending money on little things that go out or break(usually plastic parts).I don't have money for M3 or E90 and I'm about to start school at UTI.2nd window regulator broken(fixed it),valve cover gasket leaking,pulleys squeking,my rear shock is leaking(time for replacement),i'm loosing power,no alarm installed already like other car brands,bunch of more little stuff.I know that my car is old and it's normal wear and tear but if i bought even a FORD i would have less problems.I'm afraid more will come so i was thinking of switching to 2004-2005 AUDI A4.Has anybody here owned an 2003+ AUDI A4 and what they think of them.I know they get worse gas mileage and interior paint on plastic parts chips off,anything else i should know?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
audis are known to have as much problems, if not more, then bmw. try lexus or acura if you want something more reliable.

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
audis are known to have as much problems, if not more, then bmw. try lexus or acura if you want something more reliable.
Yep, if reliability is your main concern then yeah look for something from Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
we need to make these kinda of "i'm switching from bmw to audi\vw\benz" threads a sticky. amazes how much people think they'll have less problems with another german car. german cars are not as reliable as japanese cars, folks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
we need to make these kinda of "i'm switching from bmw to audi\vw\benz" threads a sticky. amazes how much people think they'll have less problems with another german car. german cars are not as reliable as japanese cars, folks.
Maybe not but they look better....alot better :str8pimpi

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
:rofl: If you think you have lots of problems now, wait till you get an Audi.
+1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My friend bought an Audi about the same time I bought my BMW. Since then, I've had repair bills. Since then, he's gotten a Honda Civic. His Audi was totalled due to electrical problems. And this was a new Audi, my BMW was used.

·
Registered
759 Posts
+1 to avoiding Audi. Audi is apparently improving but my understanding is that they've been plagued with mechanical problems and have been notorious for their unreliability for years. Besides the small cosmetic or peripheral issues with our cars that OP has mentioned, most BMWs are pretty reliable, especially when it comes to the engine. The 3-Series is probably their most solid model.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Take it from me, check my join date here, but I have only been active on the forums 2 months. I have done research on the following car models for the last few years before making a decision:

B5 A4 1.8T & 2.8 & S4
B6 A4 1.8 Quattro
E46 323i/325i/330i
Lexus IS300
Mercedes W203 C-Class

All cars have there pro's/con's, reliability is only one factor to consider when there are many others. Audi's are nice I came closest to buying the B5 S4, I knew what I was getting into when buying it though, Incredible price for performance! (250hp, easy to get past 300, AWD, Twin turbo!) But notorious for random issues, very expensive hard DIY maintenance jobs like replacing K03 Turbos and timing belt, not to mention terrible MPG) Same goes for the C32, a rare C-class affordable AMG with new gen body style, 349hp on a v6! easy to get just under 390hp. Lots of cons to this car though, even a DIYer may go broke owning it.

I'm happy with my choice picking a 325i over every thing. I have to admit though a 330i ZHP seems more desirable now after falling in love with the performance just from the 325i. But it took daily driving for me to realize that benefit. Better price and gas mileage persuaded me away initially but I'm willing to trade those two buying factors away for the better performance now.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Audi is just a VW. My other car is a VW... Not gonna get away with less maintenance or little thingies that break...

·
Registered
212 Posts
In addition to the valuable information that was presented in this thread, you can also look at the research in cars.com and look at public owner reviews. Furthermore consumer report will be another good indication.

Some tidbits I have come accross, access to the engine and parts on audi is no easy and hence more labor. There are shared parts with VW that involve some plastice components which do fail. Some performance audi models such as an S4 avant require 10 quarts of oil !!!

All this aside, the interior of the audi can be superior in feel and build quality but performance. If you get a newer model under warranty you maybe ok.

Also, not until the latest models, the AWD models tend to understeer more.

All the best and let us know what you decide.....

Regards,
Loay

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,166 Posts
I say lexus or acura too.

·
Premium Member
15,378 Posts
Get a lex yo, audi/vag parts typically cost more, and they break just as often if not more.

But as a friend of mine posted today, I rather have a beat up/half broken bmw than a functioning domestic.

And the japanese cars right now, look great, and are reliable, but unemotional. Just drive a lex and you'll see.
Tho I must admit, G35s and M45s appeal to me, a LOT.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Yeah I heard that audi usually has electrical problems, but if you switch over to lexus or acura you are going to sacrifice performance compared to the bimmer.

·
Premium Member
15,378 Posts
Price a window regulator or water pump for an A4, and compare to a E46.
Do it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Price a window regulator or water pump for an A4, and compare to a E46.
Do it.
Not to mention turbos (very prone to failure) and the labor in a timing belt is about $900 if you're not comfortable with the difficult labor involved. (100k maintenance )

1 - 20 of 62 Posts