BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to crack BMW’s color coding system for their springs. Based on a review of spring photos in the classified section and some guesswork, here’s my working theories:

Front springs –
* M3 springs have 1 yellow stripe
* manual transmissions have 1 white stripe on the sport springs
* auto transmissions have 1 brown or orange stripe on the sport springs
* 330’s have 1 white and 1 red stripe on the sport springs

Rear springs –
* M3 springs have 4 yellow stripes
* 330 sport springs have 3 stripes
* 330 non-sport springs have 2 stripes
* non-330 sport springs have 2 stripes
* non-330 non-sport springs have 1 stripes
* manual transmissions have green stripes on the sport springs
* auto transmissions have blue or white stripes on the sport springs

What will help take a lot of the guesswork out of this would be if people can check the markings on their springs and post it along with some info about their car. On my car for example –
1999 323i sedan sport package manual – front 1 white stripe, rear 2 green stripes

Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are the ZHP springs different from previous year sport package? If so, what's the difference in rate and height?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the ZHP springs different from previous year sport package? If so, what's the difference in rate and height?
ZHP springs are advertised as being stiffer by about 6%F and 8%R, but I believe ride height is the same as the sport package. From the pictures of springs I've seen both ones identified as ZHP and as 330 sport both have one white and one red stripe on the front and 3 green stripes on the rear.
If somebody has a set a loose springs and can take some measurements, we can figure out the spring rates and know for sure.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
2005 325iT Wagon, Sport Package, Manual – Front 1 grey stripe on each coil, Rear 2 Brown stripes on each coil.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2005 325iT Wagon, Sport Package, Manual – Front 1 grey stripe on each coil, Rear 2 Brown stripes on each coil.
Thanks for the info- in looking at photos I haven't been confident in the ability to distinguish white from gray or brown from orange, so it's nice to get some first hand color confirmation. Also, that's the first report I've seen of wagon springs

·
Registered
860 Posts
JPR...I just picked up the 01- 330ci suspension from a great guy in Boston. The front springs have 1 white and 1 red. The rear springs have 3 blue stripes.

Explain to me how to measure what you need and I'll take care of it. When I take the old stuff off, I will post again.

Anyone want to buy used 328i sports package struts/springs and shocks? only a mere 115,000 miles on them..ha ha.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here my stock sport front spring on the right and Eibach on the left

01' 330ia, bk/bk, moon, cd, xenon, 18x8 ASA AR1, Axxis brake pad, Eibach spring

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here my stock sport front spring on the right and Eibach on the left

01' 330ia, bk/bk, moon, cd, xenon, 18x8 ASA AR1, Axxis brake pad, Eibach spring
Thanks - that's a sport package spring correct?
how about the rears - do they 3 green stripes, 3 blue stripes, or something else entirely?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Non sport springs from my manual 02 325 coupe, Uk spec of course :)

Front: 1 red and 1 green band

Rear: 3 grey Bands

Bry.F

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Non sport springs from my manual 02 325 coupe, Uk spec of course :)

Front: 1 red and 1 green band

Rear: 3 grey Bands

Bry.F
Thanks for the info - that's the second example of a grn/red front spring I've got and the first of grey/grey/grey rear.
Over here, all coupes allegedly come with the "sport" suspension and the "sport package" is mainly other things like seats, steering wheel, etc. Is it different in the UK?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Results so far -

Attached is a copy of the data I've collected so far and also a table of the weights and balance for all the E46 models.
My working assumption is that since the ride height is the same across all model for a given suspension type, then the heavier the car, the higher the spring rate. The other useful bit of info is that during 2001, there was a change from only two types of suspension (standard and sport) to three types of suspension (standard, sport, and ZHP). However, my supposition is that the pre-2001 sport is equivalent to the post 2001 ZHP, and the post 2001 sport is somewhat softer then the pre 2001 sport.
The front springs then, in order of stiffness are coded - gray; orange; white/red; brown
The rear springs, in order of stiffness are coded - green/green; blue/blue/blue; green/green/green; brown/brown.
What is obviously needed though, is a lot more information. So if you've got some OEM springs laying around, please provide some info on their color coding and the details on what car they came from.
just realized I attached a slightly older version of the spring colors table than I've currently put together, but it still suffices to make the point that it's possible to begin to see a pattern, but more data is needed

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info - that's the second example of a grn/red front spring I've got and the first of grey/grey/grey rear.
Over here, all coupes allegedly come with the "sport" suspension and the "sport package" is mainly other things like seats, steering wheel, etc. Is it different in the UK?
#

Coupes in the Uk are available in Sport or SE spec

Bry F

1 - 20 of 141 Posts