E46 Fanatics Forum banner
14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ///Flash 
#1 ·
My BMW is shaking on cold starts and its throwing some codes that tend to go off after the weather warms up. I have checked for vacum leaks and i have yet to find any leaks. Can someone help me with this issue?

#5 ·
I too get that on extreme cold start ups. Note that I am talking about single digits up to mid 20's. Since the weather has been 30+ lately, I have not had on single shaking start. Also, the code light will go away after driving for a short while or the next day if you didn't drive it much.

-Christopher

#6 ·
This seems to be a quite common problem and there have been many threads about this. I have had the same problem and have done the following to fix it. Here is basically what you can do to check.

1. Spray carburetor cleaner around your air intake boots (upper and lower, the parts after the MAF) to check for vacuum leaks. It's most likely the lower intake boot that has gone bad (cracked, broken, ...).

2. Check for a broken Oil Separator hose. That's what happend to mine. See this link:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

3. Also, check your DISA while you are at it. If you don't know what it is, you can search and find many threads. This part is really easy to get to.

#9 ·
Does your car have a custom exhaust? I had this EXACT problem with my car and it ended up being that there was a vacuum leak by the muffler. the stock muffler has a little thing on it that closes at idle to make it quieter if you have a custom muffler or exhaust the little vacuum tube for that feature can not have been plugged up properly. plugging it up fixed the problem on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.