BMW Inspection I
This applies to all E46
This applies to all E46
- Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature.
We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic oil, p/n 07 51 0 017 866
- Check transmission for leaks.
- Check rear axle for leaks.
- Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.
- Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks.
- Check condition, positioning, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
- Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary.
- Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads using special tool. Record results. If replacement is necessary*:
Examine brake disc surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads. Record results.
- Check brake and clutch system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
- Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.
- Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.
- Check all tire pressures (including spare - except M3, M5, Z8 and Alpina). Correct if necessary. Check condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested.*
Note:If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance.*
- Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years).
- Read out diagnostic system.
- Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note: Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date).
- Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.
- Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).*
- Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
- Check air conditioner operation.
- Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.
- Reset Service Indicator.
- Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.*
- Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license-plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
- Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
- Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
- Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
- Check wipers and washer system(s);wiper blades, washer jet positions.
- Check condition and function of safety belts.
- Recharge or replace batteries for remote controls in all vehicle master keys.
- Check central locking/double lock.
- Check operation of all latches.
- Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger.
- Check rear view mirrors.
- Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.
- Activate automatic roll-over protection system (if equipped) via diagnostic link.
Note:First remove hardtop/lower top.
- Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission (except M3, M5, and Z8).