BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the LA area has a S54 Camshaft Alignment Tool Kit that I can borrow? We can work something up! I am doing a valve job on my car. would really appreciate this to align my camshafts..

Cheers!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Which tool are you referring to? Assuming I know which one you are talking about, the tools is used for a vanos job, you doing a valve adjustment or a full valve/head job with cams out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my vanos rebuild 3 years ago.... so my idea is that if the cam shafts are off. I can pull the vanos unit and correct the shafts according to the tool.. since I don't need to rebuild the vanos, I can just pull the whole unit and just concentrate on the shafts?
Correct me if iam wrong.. the more input from someone who's traveled these roads would be so helpful!

Cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you properly retard the the cams after getting the engine to TDC? Only then will the holes line up. Do you have codes for vanos? If you don't I would not touch it. If you really want to go down that road, you will need to follow adjustment of timing procedure (very last section on this page: Beisan Systems - Procedures - S54 Vanos Rattle Procedure ). To get to that point you will need remove the vanos unit, as described here: Beisan Systems - Procedures - S54 Vanos Procedure

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have any codes... car runs like a champ. But. Iam just weary of the cams not lined up... should I just leave it as is? And just take care of the valve adjustment?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My concern is if left as is, iam gonna damage the engine bc the cam shafts are not aligned properly?
Really appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
328 Posts
You would have codes if your cams were not timed properly, leave it alone :).

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is not necessarily true. Timing can be slightly off without seeing any fault codes. You have to perform a vanos test to see the actual timing numbers and to see if they are in spec.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is not necessarily true. Timing can be slightly off without seeing any fault codes. You have to perform a vanos test to see the actual timing numbers and to see if they are in spec.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
True, vanos adaptations allow for up to 8 degrees of advancement or retardation before getting upset and throwing codes 67, 72 and the like. If cams "look" a bit off, I would not retime unless there is a good reason for it. Likely there is some oil in the exhaust piston and the spline is not fully flush against the vanos body thus the cam is not fully retarded and "looks" off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts