E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have on 04 330i with about 65k miles on it. I took it in the service center today due to the driver side window being slower than usual when it's going down, and half way when it's going down, it makes a popping sound. I wanted to get the car tinted soon so I thought I might as well get this repaired first. So after the guy does his inspection, the guy tells me the window originally costs about $800 ( :yikes: ) but since I'm still under warranty I only have to pay $50 ( :woot: ). However he wasn't done. lol.

He continued saying that since my car already reached 65k miles, it would be deeply recommended if i let them do a complete fuel service, which is going to cost me $230 since warranty doesn't cover it. He said, it's really recommended and it would improve the car's performance such as gas mileage and etc. So I agreed. Then another thing he mentioned was the power steering fluid, and same reason, since its already 60k miles plus, it also needs to be replaced - $200 ( :cry: ). Then one more thing he added, I need a wheel alignment, since he noticed my front tires were in different shape than my rear tires - $250. I honestly didn't think I needed one since I didn't notice anything wrong with the handling (i might be wrong completely), the reason my front tires might be worn out more than my rear tires is going home from work, I go down a spiral pathway in a parking structure and have fun while doing so, while going down a certain speed, and breaking hard sometimes as well ( :banghead: ). He also said not to get an alignment anywhere else since bmw has active steering and other places might mess it up.

I declined a wheel alignment, and the power steering fluid replacement at the moment. I'm currently 18 years old and really new to the bmw game. So if any opinions are shared it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
$200 for p/s fluid?? You know that is ATF fluid, right? Use Dextron III and above. I bought Mobil1 Syn ATF (Dex VI) @ Walmart for C$8.16 each.
$800 (or $50?) for window repair? That is a window regulator failiure. Try the $0 zip tie method first.
$230 complete fuel service? Let's see.... fuel filter $78, labour @ $99/hr for maybe 1.4hrs of work. Is fuel injector cleaning included?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$200 for p/s fluid?? You know that is ATF fluid, right? Use Dextron III and above. I bought Mobil1 Syn ATF (Dex VI) @ Walmart for C$8.16 each.
$800 (or $50?) for window repair? That is a window regulator failiure. Try the $0 zip tie method first.
$230 complete fuel service? Let's see.... fuel filter $78, labour @ $99/hr for maybe 1.4hrs of work. Is fuel injector cleaning included?
yeah they said they will open up the fuel injector if I heard right.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds almost exactly like what the dealer I just had mine at said (04 with about 60k miles). Funny...

Honestly, I'm reading over the Inspection II list and I'm not sure, exactly, what I'm paying for. Seems like they just look at a lot of stuff and charge you $4-500. No oil change. No other fluid changes. No radiator flush. No nothing. I don't know why I'd actually have an Inspection II done to be honest...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly thought so too, that's why I was really surprised when he brought up all those things when i just had an inspection II done, so now i'm wondering, what did they really do at inspection II. lol.

So should I go get an alignment somewhere else, even though i seriously dont think i need one. i think the front tires are just worn out from my hard breaking downhill. lol. or am i terribly mistaken.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I honestly thought so too, that's why I was really surprised when he brought up all those things when i just had an inspection II done, so now i'm wondering, what did they really do at inspection II. lol.

So should I go get an alignment somewhere else, even though i seriously dont think i need one. i think the front tires are just worn out from my hard breaking downhill. lol. or am i terribly mistaken.
inspection II includes an oil service, if it didn't you got ripped off big time. that's one of the more expensive things they do during it. all those things should have been mentioned during inspection II. are you going to a different dealership than you got your inspection at?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did inspection II and oil change + spark plugs + grease on all hings + chasis lubrication + cabin filter + suspension inspection (as a result sway bar link was replaced) + all fluids were checked (brake and coolant were replaced @ additional cost).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my warranty covered the inspection II. I actually got a chance to look at the paper of the inspection II, and it says, "set oil-filter element, air filter element, and a brake fluid flush"

so for the wheel alignment, do you guys think if i go somewhere else it's going to be fine? cuz the guy kept saying other places are going to mess up the active steering of the bmw. but if i get it from them, it's really expensive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
inspection II includes an oil service, if it didn't you got ripped off big time. that's one of the more expensive things they do during it. all those things should have been mentioned during inspection II. are you going to a different dealership than you got your inspection at?
When I inquired about this--and the other fluids they said to replace/flush--they told me none of that is included in an Inspection II. I'm changing my own oil tomorrow and will get around to the other fluids as time permits.

Other than that, I want to know why I should pay $400-$500 for an inspection with little to no work done....

·
Registered
837 Posts
look for the inspection II it includes oil changes. PS fluid = $ 6.00 @ auto zone window regulator = $102.00 @ dealer, Fuel filter $ 40 @ KO Performance thats equal to $148.00 total. These are all DIY. I bet they took you for a ride since you are 18 y/o.

·
Registered
717 Posts
my warranty covered the inspection II. I actually got a chance to look at the paper of the inspection II, and it says, "set oil-filter element, air filter element, and a brake fluid flush"

so for the wheel alignment, do you guys think if i go somewhere else it's going to be fine? cuz the guy kept saying other places are going to mess up the active steering of the bmw. but if i get it from them, it's really expensive.
Your warranty or your extended maintenance covers the inspection 2? If its extended maintenance I would assume it covers all of those things you mentioned seeing as they are all maintenance issues...

·
Registered
16 Posts
:idea:
I did inspection II and oil change + spark plugs + grease on all hings + chasis lubrication + cabin filter + suspension inspection (as a result sway bar link was replaced) + all fluids were checked (brake and coolant were replaced @ additional cost).
on an inspection 2 you got your spark plugs changed? With ur car they don't get replaced till 100,000 miles huh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.