BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer today and saw a "BMW Portable Navigation System". It offers voice directions, maps, show pictures, play MP3s, bluetooth compatible, a ton of stuff, all for $750. Seems like a really good deal to me, especially with the bluetooth and MP3 functionality.

Anyone have one of these? Looks like this: http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page104.html

NicB.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I was at the dealer today and saw a "BMW Portable Navigation System". It offers voice directions, maps, show pictures, play MP3s, bluetooth compatible, a ton of stuff, all for $750. Seems like a really good deal to me, especially with the bluetooth and MP3 functionality.

Anyone have one of these? Looks like this: http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page104.html

NicB.
It is just a Garmin Nuvi. I am intrigued by the custom mounting bracket though. It looks pretty neat. I wonder if they have one, or if that one could be adapted, for the E46?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think there is a way to retrofit it into the dash and have it start up whenever the car is turned on? Never had a GPS before so not sure how all this works...

Seems like if someone can come up with a DICE setup, surely they can come up with a sleek retrofit for one of these guys.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
eh i saw it at the dealer the other day IMO i think its way over priced.. You can pay a little more and get a in dash screen which does the same OR you can pay less and go to Costco and buy the same portable unit which doesny say BMW...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Think there is a way to retrofit it into the dash and have it start up whenever the car is turned on? Never had a GPS before so not sure how all this works...

Seems like if someone can come up with a DICE setup, surely they can come up with a sleek retrofit for one of these guys.
Well, that is how the normal Garmin units operate (or can, anyway) so I would assume the BMW dock would be similar. The dock only looks like it is for the E90, though, based on the link you gave. Did you see an E46 variant?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
eh i saw it at the dealer the other day IMO i think its way over priced.. You can pay a little more and get a in dash screen which does the same OR you can pay less and go to Costco and buy the same portable unit which doesny say BMW...
Agreed.....but see my comments about the dock. That would be awesome if they made one for the E46 that cleanly fit with the interior and way plug-and-play with the wiring.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
if you go to proclipusa.com they have custom mounting options for all sorts of devices..cell phones, pda's, gps thingys...and for all types of cars...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
if you go to proclipusa.com they have custom mounting options for all sorts of devices..cell phones, pda's, gps thingys...and for all types of cars...
Yeah, but those are still a long way from a dock designed specifically for a given car. Basically those are pieces of plastic you wedge or tape to some part of the car. I would not describe them as elegant solutions at all.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Essentially a Garmin Nuvi 360, but painted black with a more integrated mounting kit. You can pick up a Garmin 360 for $395, I can't see how the black paint, BMW emblem, and slightly different mounting kit is worth $355 extra?

Just buy a Garmin Nuvi 360, and keep it charged up so you don't have to use the power cord while driving, and use the suction mount on the windshield. I blends in well, and still looks good.

·
MOdding process
537 Posts
not bad

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 a month ago (for approx $360) and I can tell you it is a very very slick device. Way more useful than I even thought it would be.

There are some very compelling reasons to NEVER have a built in GPS unit in your car in favor of a hand-held portable.

1) You can use a portable in many cars and as a pedestrian.

2) When you're planning a trip you're typically not sitting in your car but in your house.

3) Updates on your PC etc.

In my 328Ci and in my Honda Pilot I have had no problem finding a way to position my NUVI without having to resort to the goofy looking windshield suction mount thing.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 a month ago (for approx $360) and I can tell you it is a very very slick device. Way more useful than I even thought it would be.

There are some very compelling reasons to NEVER have a built in GPS unit in your car in favor of a hand-held portable.

1) You can use a portable in many cars and as a pedestrian.

2) When you're planning a trip you're typically not sitting in your car but in your house.

3) Updates on your PC etc.

In my 328Ci and in my Honda Pilot I have had no problem finding a way to position my NUVI without having to resort to the goofy looking windshield suction mount thing.
Very well said!

I was a split second to selling my Tomtom One in favor of an indash setup but your reasons were more than enough to convince me to keep it after all! :thumbsup: thanks for saving me $1,000

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
meh - you can update an in-dash unit as well and I think the integration features of a dedicated in-dash unit outweigh the portability options of a stand-alone unit. If it is portable from car to car, it is also portable into a thief's hands. That means every time I par the car I need to put it in the glove box along with the plug and mount. I also don't need a lecture on how this is "easy" and "not a big deal". I have a TomTom One and honestly would use it more if not for that whole ritual. That said, the dock component (which is seperate) of this BMW-branded Garmin caught my eye as it would mitigate this nicely.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
A few days ago my wife and I drove to Denver to do some shopping. Several times during the day we used the Garmin Nuvi 350 (now named Garmy) to find stores and shopping malls.

At the end of the day we were WALKING along a road when my wife wondered out loud what the name of the hotel was that we could see. Garmy had the answer.

We stopped in the hotel lobby for a glass of wine. Since it was getting close to dinner time and we were looking at a 100 mile trip home, we decided to have dinner in that area of Denver.

While SITTING IN THE BAR I kicked up Garmy and we decided on a restaurant.

My conclusion? Having your GPS glued into your car makes about as much sense as having your cell phone or your iPod glued into your car.

·
Registered
194 Posts
+1 Garmin Nav I just laughed when I saw that site with the Official BMW... it's like take the Garmin and add official BMW and another couple hundred bucks. unreal

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ Well, not that this is worth a few hundred bucks, but I do know BMW service centers and crap like that are programmed in.

Anyway, what I really want to know is if anyone has somehow made a good looking retrofit into their dash so it looks more "stock" if you will. I want portable with the clean look of a stock navi. Maybe i will build such a setup... :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts