BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow all I can say is wow it's incredible, stock quiet cruising and at idle. But wow when you get on the highway or mid to high Rpms it pulls so hard and sounds like the pistons wanna smack somebody, deep throaty and feels so much stronger with very little effort on the gas lol hands Down 10/10 BMW did a very good job on the design that's why I bought because BMW made it and it's designed for my car buy it you won't be disappointed.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
which other intakes have you used? how do they compare?

·
Registered
778 Posts
which other intakes have you used? how do they compare?
I'll answer this question for the OP with my experience. I used a Dinan (the new one that goes down to the brake duct). The BMW Performance is louder in a very good way, sounds throatier, rpm's rise much faster than with the Dinan, looks 10x sexier than Dinan, and as far as performance goes I don't think anyone's butt dyno can feel between 3 and 6 hp, although I would def. believe that it is there.

·
Banned
6,701 Posts
Benfer, Dinan, K&N (w/ heat shield), ECIS and AFE are all about the same. The GruppeM horn design is the biggest piece of crap ever though. It's a hot air intake.

There is a marginal difference in performance around 3,000-3,5000 RPMs at WOT for the good ones. The most significant difference is the sound, which for many is the primary selling point.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm very happy with my BMW performance intake as well. Sounds great and there is definitely a perceptual increase in torque. Glad I bought the OEM one and not an aftermarket intake, all things being equal.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
:( This thread makes me sad. I had purchased the intake, but then found out shipping was $290. Still want one! :(

Glad to hear you're happy with it though!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
No, but since you have a 2001 330Ci I'm sure you already know what the before sounds like. ;)
Not really--my bloody rear wheel bearings and/or center support bearing make so much noise :( I cannot even hear my extended golf-tee mod (sawed off the tips and butterfly value then welded on SS chrome tips). :cry:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Very satisfied with mine. Huge difference on highway speeds especially now in cooler temps here in the DC area

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

·
Registered
105 Posts
What kind of filter do these boxes use? I assume the standard intake filter doesn't work with this.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What kind of filter do these boxes use? I assume the standard intake filter doesn't work with this.
Excellent question. I have been curious about this as well. It would be sweet if it used a larger, standard "off the shelf" paper filter from another model so there would be aftermarket replacement options available from Mann and Mahle.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Standard will not work. Has to be a unique bmw performance piece

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

·
Registered
296 Posts
Received intake from Tisher on Friday. It came in a huge outer box which then had a bubble wrapped inner BMW box which then had the intake securely wrapped inside. Great packaging! The hardest part of the job was getting the MAF back on. The fit is very tight. First I tried a little K&N filter grease(made to go on a filter's seal). After ten or so minutes of fighting I pulled the top back up and just worked it into the MAF, snapped the clips still holding the top at a bit of an angle and then snapped the top on. I think mine was a bit tighter because I had gone with the silicone intake tube and it may stick out a wee more than the stock one towards the intake box(just guessing).
Second problem I had was my hood stayed up a very small amount on the driver's side. I removed my car bra and the problem went away. It looks like I can't use both the bra and the intake. Not a huge problem for me since I have been flamed so many times for it anyway.
Car started right up and I noticed a deeper tone. I did some spirited driving and while not noticing much difference in power, I did notice crisper shifts on my auto.
Finish is superb on the intake. Great carbon fiber! I wish the CF was a bit larger but it really dresses up my engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The actual filter element in the performance intake is a rectangular filter placed on a plastic piece that forms it into a semi circle.
It takes removing two screws to get the element out, then 6 more screws to remove the actual element from the plastic piece.

The spare part for the performance intake filter likely comes with the plastic piece, hence the increased cost.

I took mine out but didn't measure it, it looked very much like the standard E46 paper filter.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The intake is incredible. It sounds stock at idle or at cruising speed. In the powerband the car seems to pull harder than before. The intake makes a deep sound without flooring the gas pedal. I would give this product a 10/10. BMW did an excellent job improving upon the stock intake when they designed this piece. Should you buy this intake you will not be disappointed.
Fixed

Jking Meng. Enjoy your intake! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Received intake from Tisher on Friday. It came in a huge outer box which then had a bubble wrapped inner BMW box which then had the intake securely wrapped inside. Great packaging! The hardest part of the job was getting the MAF back on. The fit is very tight. First I tried a little K&N filter grease(made to go on a filter's seal). After ten or so minutes of fighting I pulled the top back up and just worked it into the MAF, snapped the clips still holding the top at a bit of an angle and then snapped the top on. I think mine was a bit tighter because I had gone with the silicone intake tube and it may stick out a wee more than the stock one towards the intake box(just guessing).
Second problem I had was my hood stayed up a very small amount on the driver's side. I removed my car bra and the problem went away. It looks like I can't use both the bra and the intake. Not a huge problem for me since I have been flamed so many times for it anyway.
Car started right up and I noticed a deeper tone. I did some spirited driving and while not noticing much difference in power, I did notice crisper shifts on my auto.
Finish is superb on the intake. Great carbon fiber! I wish the CF was a bit larger but it really dresses up my engine compartment.

BRO the BRA has got to GO! :p

I'm sure youre aware of the clear wrap stuff you can have wrapped on your hood. This is cleaner and looks better, IMO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts