BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the UPS man dropped off the new BMW Performance intake at my house today, and I had to install it right away. So here's an initial review with a pic for you.

First off, thanks to Evan at Tischer for a great deal and fast shipping.

Right out of the box the part is beautiful...love the carbon fiber. Install was a piece of cake as it was made to fit as a direct replacement for the stock piece. Install took me 15 minutes. Would take someone that's installed an intake before probably less.

On startup I could definitely hear the difference. It's not loud like a Gruppe M but it has a nice thrust of sound with just a hint of a whistle/air rush. I'll post a before and after sound clip later. I haven't taken the car out on the freeway yet to see how it performs at high revs. Accelerating quickly up to 40 mph on my local street, though, I could definitely feel a better/quicker throttle response and the rush of air could be heard with the window rolled down.

What I like best about this piece, beyond it's appearance, is the fact that it bolts right on with no modifications and no codes are thrown. For those hoping for a big hp/tq gain or sound rush, you'll probably be dissappointed. Although I don't know how typical aftermarket intakes perform.

I'm getting a before and after dyno this weekend. So I'll post the dyno sheet and sound clip after that. I'm hoping to get an Eisenmann exhaust in a couple of weeks as well. So we'll see how the two mods improve the performance of my engine. Now if they'd only lower the price of the new strut bar!

p_intake.jpg

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
thanks for the review!
however, since many of us purchase intake mainly for sound, I guess this one doesn't do the job :(

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on what you consider desireable sound levels. You can definietely hear the difference. It's just not as loud as the Gruppe M that I've heard...which is a very loud intake IMO.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I agree, just give us an estimate, and can you take a closer pic of your engine bay? Can barely tell from the picture what you installed.

·
Registered
18,805 Posts
how is the gruppe m compared to the k&n 57, louder? the same?

that intake is beautiful, congrats on the purchase

hope you enjoy it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well the UPS man dropped off the new BMW Performance intake at my house today, and I had to install it right away. So here's an initial review with a pic for you.

First off, thanks to Evan at Tischer for a great deal and fast shipping.

Right out of the box the part is beautiful...love the carbon fiber. Install was a piece of cake as it was made to fit as a direct replacement for the stock piece. Install took me 15 minutes. Would take someone that's installed an intake before probably less.

On startup I could definitely hear the difference. It's not loud like a Gruppe M but it has a nice thrust of sound with just a hint of a whistle/air rush. I'll post a before and after sound clip later. I haven't taken the car out on the freeway yet to see how it performs at high revs. Accelerating quickly up to 40 mph on my local street, though, I could definitely feel a better/quicker throttle response and the rush of air could be heard with the window rolled down.

What I like best about this piece, beyond it's appearance, is the fact that it bolts right on with no modifications and no codes are thrown. For those hoping for a big hp/tq gain or sound rush, you'll probably be dissappointed. Although I don't know how typical aftermarket intakes perform.

I'm getting a before and after dyno this weekend. So I'll post the dyno sheet and sound clip after that. I'm hoping to get an Eisenmann exhaust in a couple of weeks as well. So we'll see how the two mods improve the performance of my engine. Now if they'd only lower the price of the new strut bar!

View attachment 242769
Thanks for the information, I'm assuming the install requires no drilling in wheel well (i.e. Dinan High Flow Intake?) I can't wait to hear you final review and see the dyno numbers as well as the sound. Is your car MT or AT. I will most likely use your writeup to determine if I want to get this intake in a few months.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I get the dyno this weekend I'll get you closeup pictures of all the components. The filter is a yellow paper element and is U-shaped...not a full cone. It utilizes all of the stock inlet locations as well as direct fit with the airflow outlet to the manifold. There is one new inlet slit at the front that is pointed at the kidney grille. The bottom section of the case that contains the catch clips is exactly the same as stock.

My car has the 6mt. The price is posted on Tischer's website for $695.00.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
$695 for an intake? Holly crap that is the biggest rip off ever. Sorry but that is so much waste of money for such little gain.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Daniel- Why are u interested in the Eisenmann strut brace? Just for looks? I see you have the Dinan one already. I cant imagine one could feel any difference.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
That intake looks sick! I really like it a lot!

·
Spunkmeister Jay
458 Posts
My car has the 6mt. The price is posted on Tischer's website for $695.00.
Please tell me you got a free blowjob included in that price???

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think I would've rather paid 600 for a ECIS intake, or the other comparable intake that gives off better numbers and tone. But thats just me.:p

1 - 20 of 53 Posts