BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had my car in the shop today for a before and after dyno...before w/ stock airbox and after with the new BMW Performance intake. The shop has a dyno pak machine...more commonly referred to a "mustang dyno." So the numbers are lower than you'll see on a dynojet.

As I stated in my previous thread, I've felt a slight difference in throttle response and quicker reving as well as a slight difference in sound...a little lower/meatier. As SloTown stated in his review, there is a slight flaw in the design where there is a gap where the new inlet scoop fits into the cover. I will fill this gap w/ silicone and call it a day.

Here are the results'

Before:

stock.jpg

If you can't read it, it states 195.5 hp and 203.2 tq.

After:

w_intake.jpg

If you can't read it, it states 202.0 hp and 204.5 tq.

As you can see, there is a gain of 6.5 hp and 1.3 tq over the stock airbox. Not bad being as BMW claimed only 3hp gain. Although dynos can be an innacurate gauge of true hp/tq, I think the difference posted is true being that the pulls were all done on the same machine on the same day.

The dyno procedure was as follows:

Three pulls with the stock airbox were performed first. What you see is the average of those pulls.

Then I swapped out the airboxes and the tech did another three pulls. With each pull, you could see that the computer was calibrating for the increased airflow. What you see is the result gained on the last pull. So it may have gone even a little higher after a couple more pulls...but who knows.

I guess you'll have to be the judge, but I'm satified that what I was feeling with my foot showed up on the dyno. I also saw one of my BMW friends last night, and he said that he could definitely hear the difference when I accelerated past him standing on the curb.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
your torque curve is not very consistent.. dunno why? Mine is flat on any dyno I have done, yours dips and spikes around 3,500 to 4,500.:yikes:

Thanks for posting the dyno though.:thumbsup:

IMO, the system is superior to the Dinan box and right up there, second only to the AFE short ram intake. The three previously mentiond are the only 3 on the market that are fully enclosed ~ thus virtually eliminating heat soak. I would be willing to be that the AFE intake would gain 25% more power than your results, but it is also a bit louder than the BMW performance intake.

BTW, did you do this pull in 3rd or 4th? also, why did you stop at 6k? It appears that you could have had a higher peak at 6500+

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I wonder if this is something with the ZHP camshafts.:hmm: as in gaining high-rpm, but losing mid-range.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your torque curve is not very consistent.. dunno why? Mine is flat on any dyno I have done, yours dips and spikes around 3,500 to 4,500.:yikes:

Thanks for posting the dyno though.:thumbsup:

IMO, the system is superior to the Dinan box and right up there, second only to the AFE short ram intake. The three previously mentiond are the only 3 on the market that are fully enclosed ~ thus virtually eliminating heat soak. I would be willing to be that the AFE intake would gain 25% more power than your results, but it is also a bit louder than the BMW performance intake.

BTW, did you do this pull in 3rd or 4th? also, why did you stop at 6k? It appears that you could have had a higher peak at 6500+
The tech determined the 6k limit. The torque results are weird because the tech claimed that my diff is actually a 3.73 instead of a 3.07...don't know why. But all pulls were done that way.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dunno, but i know there is a fix for it at the dealership!
I just had my software updated last month at the dealership because of an irratic idle at times and the 4k dip. So I'll have to get it looked at the next time I go in for an oil change.

·
Registered
746 Posts
does the bmw box replace the upper and lower half or just the upper half like dinan?

·
Registered
746 Posts
hmm, i wonder what the gains would be if you used the bmw upper with the extra intake port and the ported dinan lower with the tube from the brake duct and large canister filter...

how much was the intake?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its just the upper half like the dinan. all and all BMW performance and Dinan both designed pretty good intakes
Actually it's the whole box. The lower boxes appear the same but is slightly different in that all of the catches are on the lower box...the stock one has one left on the top portion.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,530 Posts
i don't get it. stock is 235 Hp and 222 Tq and your numbers show the Trq higher than the Hp now.:hmm:

probably has something to do with the technician telling you that you have a 3.73 diff instead of the 3.07:rolleyes:.

is your car a manual or an automatic?

either way it shows the comparitive results and that it's doing something.
nice job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't get it. stock is 235 Hp and 222 Tq and your numbers show the Trq higher than the Hp now.:hmm:

probably has something to do with the technician telling you that you have a 3.73 diff instead of the 3.07:rolleyes:.

is your car a manual or an automatic?

either way it shows the comparitive results and that it's doing something.
nice job:thumbsup:
Keep in mind that the dyno numbers I posted are at the wheels. BMW numbers are at the flywheel...although I think you know that. The wierd tq numbers are definitely because of the diff numbers being off. I told him my diff was 3.07 but he said his dyno software calculated it at 3.73. :hmm: My car is an 6mt. I have a friend that's just getting his dyno up and running. When I get my new Eisenmann exhaust, I'll take it to him to see what his system produces.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dynapak hub dyno (poor mans dyno IMHO) it's NOT referred as a Mustang Dyno! Dynapak dyno are VERY optimistic compared to real Mustang Dyno or even inertia Dynojet! And torque graphs are always funny looking :rofl: Optimistic hub dynos have funnier dyno graph when you dyno a Diesel truck LOL.

http://www.mustangdyne.com/

1 - 20 of 51 Posts