E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't just get it some of their engines would be sooo sweeet with a twin turbo . what about benz new strategy with KOMPRESSOR engines ( 4 cylinder ) supercharged .... that are becoming very popular

Any ideas about BMW anti-TURBO

i guess it is just that BMW likes to be natural and powerful

they don't like to induce power but to PRODUCE power !!

·
Registered
501 Posts
There is a rumor out there about a new engine for the e90 platform that would "breach the gap" between the 330 and the M3. Basically the engine would be a turbo charged version of the newly designed inline 6 that would produce about 300 to 320hp. Again, it is only a rumor.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
jpm330ci said:
There is a rumor out there about a new engine for the e90 platform that would "breach the gap" between the 330 and the M3. Basically the engine would be a turbo charged version of the newly designed inline 6 that would produce about 300 to 320hp. Again, it is only a rumor.

that's an old rumor isn't it. it just seems to crop up every once in a while. the only turbo engine that bmw has made public is the new dual turbo diesel engine.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Good.

I'll take a weaker naturally aspirated motor over a more powerful (well...depends on how much more powerful) turbo equipped example any day.

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
Personally, I really like that BMW is the maker of some of the most powerful NA engines, and they can keep a very close eye on making very reliable powerplants with their existing technology. They have spent years, and millions building their heritage in this direction, and I think it's working brilliantly.
Now don't get me wrong, I am keen on Forced Induction as well, but I think they are better off leaving that to the aftermarket companies, like ASA.

Just my two cents. :thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
BMW will never make any of their 330 or any other cars as powerfull as the M because it will affect the M market .
I remmember there was talks about the E46 M pumping out 400 hp when the e46 M was being produced but they didnt proceed with it becuase it was going to affect the sales of the M5 .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Because "supercharged" means "sluggish". Granted, the new twin turbo systems make it just a tad sluggish rather than massively sluggish, but still. It only makes sense on diesel cars, because NA diesel engines are even more sluggish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I remember reading an article about the new M5 quoting one BMW engineer, in reference to a remark about his competitors using F/I, as saying, "A boat with turbo is still a boat." :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are some turbochargers in BMW's past. They made a 2002 Turbo back in the 1970s.

They also had turbocharged F1 engines in F1's "turbo era" in the early 1980s.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
e46sr said:
There are some turbochargers in BMW's past. They made a 2002 Turbo back in the 1970s.

The 745 was also turbo. During the F1 turbo era, EVERYONE had a turbo :)

There was also the BMW Turbo which was the concept car that eventually became the M1

·
Banned
1,951 Posts
e46sr said:

Whereas those cars were quite succesful, that's hardly enough experience to call it 'heritage'. Also, wasn't the M1 turbo??? I think it was the only M car to be FI, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: nevermind about the M1, we posted that at the same time. :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Bim Growl said:
Whereas those cars were quite succesful, that's hardly enough experience to call it 'heritage'. Also, wasn't the M1 turbo??? I think it was the only M car to be FI, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: nevermind about the M1, we posted that at the same time. :)

M1 was not turbo. the concept car that the M1 was based on was called BMW Turbo. They looked alike but the engine was completely different.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The fastest street car in the world for at least 10 years was the McLaren F1...I think it still has the top speed record for street car. It was made by BMW and had no turbos.

I think THAT is enough to convince BMW that it doesn't need turbos haha.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
they get the job done without turbo a stock S4 (bi-turbo) vs and M3 i seen it personally raced my friends S4 lost 4 times to the M he got so mad he went to the shop the next day and droped around $8K-10K on upgrades and then he was able to beat the M STOCK

·
Protect Me From What I Want
1,220 Posts
pwalsh53 said:
The fastest street car in the world for at least 10 years was the McLaren F1...I think it still has the top speed record for street car. It was made by BMW and had no turbos.

I think THAT is enough to convince BMW that it doesn't need turbos haha.

Patrick
The F1 was made by McLaren, BMW only supplied the S70 engines. It was McLaren's cheif engineer Gordan Murray who did not consider anything but a N/A powerplant. And BMW M was the only one up for the job, although the engine did turn out to be a bit heavier than what GM wanted.

BTW, for instant and endless power, supercharging is superior to turbocharging

·
Registered
47 Posts
all I know is bmw better do something because 258 hp just isn't enough for me to justify spending $43,000. If that means a twin turbo than I am all for it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts