BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I do agree with them though I wish they had taken a look at the acura system. Its DVD & touchscreen. I had it on my old CL-S.

AdamR

·
The Man
350 Posts
the article claims it takes away the in dash cd player but on my 03 330ci i was able to the the cd player behind the nav screen. It is a new for 2003

·
Registered
393 Posts
maynardc said:
BMW scored really low: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,2929,00.asp

Lexus got the highest rating: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,2926,00.asp

so, is it really worth it to get it? if you have it, what sort of feedback do you have (pros/cons)?
I agree with them in how the "user interface" operates. The NAV in my BMW is not nearly as easy or user friendly as my previous Acura. But, the actual GPS function is every bit as good as the Acura and even though it's not as easy to use I'm glad I bought NAV for the car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
so.........can we put a lexus one in a bmw? heheh

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BMWNA Response

BMWNA told me that they are switching to a DVD-based navigation system in early 2003. woo hoo! guess I'll wait for that one!

·
Registered
421 Posts
People should consider getting an aftermarket non-indash nav if they really want to use one and not just 'look cool'. I have the Garmin StreetPilot III and i love it. It sits ontop of your dash so you don't have to look down at a screen where your eyes will be off the road. There's also map updates and firmware upgrades from their website so you'll always have an updated map.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: BMWNA Response

maynardc said:
BMWNA told me that they are switching to a DVD-based navigation system in early 2003. woo hoo! guess I'll wait for that one!
The DVD upgraded NAV "operates" exactly the same as the CD based NAV, meaning the user interface is no better. All the DVD does is provide coverage for the entire country instead of having multiple CD's to cover sections of the country.

To the recommendation to use an aftermarket NAV, there's no way they are as easy to use as the integrated system- PERIOD.

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
maynardc said:

hmmm...that's not what they told me:dunno:
My NAVI is DVD-based (DVD player in the trunk). Although I have yet to get the Navigation DVD from NAVtech :mad: They just give me the CD to use in the meantime.

The knobs and selection options takes some getting used to, and they can be distracting if you are trying to select something while driving (not a good idea). The lady voice could use some more emotion... she is not sexy at all and gets quite annoying sometimes :thumbdwn: But I love the NAVI... I have a map whereever I go and it does what it's supposed to do.

I bet Lexus does have a better NAVI... but you don't buy a BMW for the NAVI :D

·
The De46vil's Army
20,221 Posts
at least in the BMW you can say you have ALPINE navigation because thats who makes it. Who makes the Acura one? pioneer?

·
The De46vil's Army
20,221 Posts
don't forget you can add VOICE recognition to your BMW NAV for about $650 if it bothers you that much.

DVD NAV came on the first run of 2003, the cd behind the screen is supposed to be late december delivery cars, i got first run of 2003 and i have DVD nav w/tape so i got a 6-disc in the trunk.

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
VALMONT said:

DVD NAV came on the first run of 2003, the cd behind the screen is supposed to be late december delivery cars, i got first run of 2003 and i have DVD nav w/tape so i got a 6-disc in the trunk.
I guess maybe it was different for M3s :dunno: Cuz I have in-dash CD with my NAVI and my car was built in October 2002. I love the way it tilts :pimpin: :pimpin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts