BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This brand new BMW X5 was just purchased and brought to us Unique Car Care for a new car prep and clear film install (aka clear bra) to get it off on the right track.

I gave the exterior a wash and claybar treatment to prep the paint before polishing. The were some minor imperfections in the paint which would need to be removed before the clear bra was installed, so I polished the complete exterior with Menzerna power Finish using an orange pad using a DA polisher. This combo cleaned up the paint nicely and ready for the film install.

To ensure the paint protection film had a perfect foundation to adhere to, I wiped the paint down with 91% alcohol to remove any polishing oils from the paint surface. In addition, I removed the BMW hood emblem and the hood grills to ensure maximum coverage and avoid any unnecessary seams in the film.

Removing the hood grills:

Using blue painters tape to protect the paint when prying the BMW emblem off:

All ready for the film install:

On this particular install, the owner requested a pre-cut front bumper. Here’s a few pictures of my installer working his magic…

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

For the hood, fenders and mirrors we used bulk film to offer a little more coverage than the pre-cut pieces offered in the kit. Here's the film laid down on the paint.

After using a squeegee to apply the film, all edges were trimmed and wrapped around the edges of the hood and grill openings to reduce the amount of seams that tend to take away from the look of the finished product.

After the install was complete, I applied Menzerna Power Lock sealant to the complete exterior and clear film surfaces for long-lasting protection. As you can see in the close-up pictures below, the film is so clear and glossy that it's virtually invisible. The film is 8 mils thick and will protect the paint against stone chips, road debris, abrasions, etc***8230;

After removing the sealant, I reinstalled the BMW emblem and grills. Here's a couple close up pictures to show how nice the install came out. Notice there are no seams!

The owner didn't feel it was necessary to remove the headlights in order to wrap the edges over, so we trimmed the film as close to the edge as possible as you can see below***8230;

When the owner arrived to take the car, he walked into the shop and asked me if we had already completed the install because he couldn't even see it. When I told him yes, he was in complete awe how well it came out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the final results!

[/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Looks great Rick! I'm interested in some detail work, sending an email to the address listed in your sig now! :hi:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Damn! Insane work. Nice B7 :)

-D

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,726 Posts
Damn! Insane work. Nice B7 :)

-D
Damn, at first I was gonna say yuk, but that was before the squeegee process even took place, that is unreal how that came out!

I also was going to comment on the B7 with those amazing alpina wheels. :drool:

top notch work guys.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
looks great... if only the car weren't brown... ;)

I'm having my hood resprayed soon on my 330i. How soon after I respray could I have something like this done? What would apx cost be on a 330i sedan hood?

Thx

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That came out great. I need to get my front bumper cleared now that it's repainted. I think they recommend you wait 30 days before coating it anything (wax or clear).

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
holy crap that is some amazing work! I dont think i would be able to tell if there was a clear bra on that or not!

·
Registered
135 Posts
unreal work. once i get resprayed i plan on having this done asap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys!

sna77- I would wait 30 days or so before applying clear film to a repainted panel to allow the paint to outgas, unless it was baked in a paint booth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts