BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading that BMW is going to put a 2.0 Liter Turbo with a 230 hp Rating. But KIA has a 2.0 liter in the Optima that has an Hp Rating of 274 Hp. Also, I Would think that BMW would be able to meet or Beat the Hp rating of KIA. What are your thougts?????

·
Registered
673 Posts
BMW doesnt give a Sh** about what Kia is doing. So they are not going to build a 2.0 to compete with it. Most likely its for gas mileage reasons that they would even attempt this.

·
Registered
18,540 Posts
I have been reading that BMW is going to put a 2.0 Liter Turbo with a 230 hp Rating. But KIA has a 2.0 liter in the Optima that has an Hp Rating of 274 Hp. Also, I Would think that BMW would be able to meet or Beat the Hp rating of KIA. What are your thougts?????
bmw will have an I6 FI for the higher horsepower models... why the hell would they make a 300hp i4? people won't buy the 6's, not to mention god knows what the gas mileage and the strain on the engine would be for having to boost that car to 14psi instead of 6-7

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Evo X's put out 290hp/300tq out of their 2.0t. Guess what? They also get terrible fuel economy. You're not buying one of the 2.0t's b/c you want huge HP. You're buying one because you want a nice compromise of fuel efficiency with enough power for a BMW.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you dont buy a car with a 2.0 L to go racing. Just saying KIA has a 2.0 Turbo puting out 274 Hp which gets 22 City 34 highway. Are you saying those engines are being stressed beyond there limits and may not last as long as a BMW 2.0 L with 230 Hp????

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
I'm sure BMW could have tuned up the 2.0 to make more power but it is going in the F30 328 as the 'base' model so they probably tuned it for overall driving dynamics, including fuel economy.

Just wait until the tuners get their hands on it. My guess is 300hp or higher. What do you think?

·
Registered
18,540 Posts
I know you dont buy a car with a 2.0 L to go racing. Just saying KIA has a 2.0 Turbo puting out 274 Hp which gets 22 City 34 highway. Are you saying those engines are being stressed beyond there limits and may not last as long as a BMW 2.0 L with 230 Hp????
once again i have to REPEAT MYSELF :eeps:

they aren't going to make that much horsepower even if they could.. its going to dip into the 335 sales

I'm sure BMW could have tuned up the 2.0 to make more power but it is going in the F30 328 as the 'base' model so they probably tuned it for overall driving dynamics, including fuel economy.

Just wait until the tuners get their hands on it. My guess is 300hp or higher. What do you think?
i don't know much about the engine itself, but typically bmw uses smaller turbos for better spoolage :drool:

squeezing 300 out of that engine might be a little bit much if it is just a chip... who knows tho. i could definitely see 280ish

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess like the Audi A4...they use a 2.0 L which makes only 211 Hp but makes alot of torque. I guess all auto manufactures are more concerned with Fuel Milage than HorsePower Numbers. I guess you are right if BMW made the 2.0 L more powerful.....It would hurt sales of the 335.......or would have to make the 335 with more power. I guess BMW is trying to get the bset of both worlds. BMW makes a car that has good power and is fuel efficient. I think they need to concentrate / focus in producing a more reliable car. I still think BMW....has way to many bugs when they release a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts

what is this KIA you speak of? never heard of it ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
what is this KIA you speak of? never heard of it ;)
Little boy is walking down the street when a guy pulls up and asks him if he wants to go for a ride ?
"No thanks" say's the boy and walks on. Very soon the car pulls alongside again and the driver say's "Get in here and I will give you some candy"
"No thanks" say's the boy and walks on. The car comes alongside once again.
"Come in the car and I will give you $5.00" say's the driver.
"No thanks" say's the boy and walks on. yet again the car pulls up and the driver asks ..
"Get in and I'll give you $10.00 and all the candy you want"
The boy turns to the driver and say's .. "Look Dad ! .... you bought the f**kin Kia, now live with it"

·
Registered
522 Posts
The KIA Optima 2.0 Turbo 274 Hp - 269 lb of Torque. Not bad out of a 2.0 liter
He was being sarcastic..basically saying Kia doesn't matter for sh*t in comparison to BMW :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
the difference between kia and bmw is that the optima is $49k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts