BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and new to tuning BMW's so please just assume I don't know much in your answers. I recently ordered an M3 steering with with associated round airbag. I did the install, got the steering wheel on and came to installing the round airbag itself. All the connections were in place (2 in the steering wheel, 2 in the airbag). HOWEVER, when I placed the airbag into place, it clicked into place but it wasn't flush with the rest of the steering wheel. There was about a 1/4 inch gap between the airbag and the rest of the steering wheel. I just assumed this was how it was supposed to be until I turned the ignition key on and the horn went off constantly. I turned the car off and back on multiple times with no different results. Really this comes down to 2 things, how do I get the airbag flush with the steering wheel and why is the horn going off? Thanks for any help you can give. Picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the wheel brand new? Probably bent if it's a used wheel, you can see if it's bent or not by removing the wheel from the car and placing it on the flat surface.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheel is used but I put it on a table and it balances so I don't think it's bent...wouldn't it be a problem with the springs or something inside that keeps it from going in farther?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Unplug negative battery terminal in the trunk.
Then use a flathead screwdriver to compress the retainer springs that hold in the airbag. Do this by pushing in almost horizontally, just a bit more vertical.
Remove airbag.
There are two springs in the top left and right corners. The screws that adjust them should not be fully tightened. Loosen them a little bit so the horn is not so sensitive.
You're gonna have to play around with this a little bit by reinserting the airbag and hooking the battery back up. Then repeat if the horn is still sensitive.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I expected a little gap...but that much? I can physically wiggle it...if that's normal then I'll adjust those screws. Thanks and keep posting advice!

·
Registered
220 Posts
The metal receptacle might be bent. Take it out by removing the 3 screws and take a look. I don't have a picture of how a new one looks like, but what I did was just try to bend it back a little, since it was sticking out. With a few trial and errors, it fitted perfect.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sorry to resurrect this but what's the fix for this one? is it as KYC has explained -- bending the receptacle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts