BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
”m8”

I guess i8 plug-in hybrid sports car isn't quite a supercar, but it definitely has the looks and performance that can't be overlooked. That means there is a spot in BMW's lineup looking to be filled. Word is, that BMW is working on filling this void in its full-tilt supercar segment. A possible successor to the M1 rumored to be released in 2016 and it's to be called the M8. I know I was instantly interested when I read this, let's press on.

This M8 will utilize an angrier version of the 4.4 liter, twin-turbo V8 from the current M5/6, producing 600-650 horsepower. Maybe that number doesn't sound super car enough, but introduce that power to the i8's carbon fiber and aluminum chassis and see how the relationship goes. The i8 chassis allows BMW to achieve a pretty feathery 3,300 pounds.

”m8”

That power will head to the wheels via nine-speed automatic transmission. The nine-speed could possibly be the only trans option. With it's light weight and 600+ horsepower, the M8 may hit 62 in the 3 second range, with a top speed of 200 mph. Those sound like super car numbers.

As far as looks go, the M8 may grab some styling cues from the M1 Homage concept and maybe even some i8 thrown in, to say thanks for the chassis. Just some speculation on the i8 bit though.

If the planets align and this 2016 M8 launch materializes, we should be graced with the concept soon. the M8 will reportedly carry a base price of around $324,000, if it actually ever goes on sale.

I've been waiting to see a BMW supercar, how about you?

”m8”

Source: Motorauthority.com

Attachments

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It's interesting how the M division has gone from creating unique cars that catered to a specific buyer to the point where every BMW has an M badge. I liked how in the beginning they had this attitude that if you didn't like a something such as manual transmission only, M didn't care. Oh well, it's still a business and that isn't a good tactic. Maybe this car will bring back some of the exclusivity? (Although I'm really hating the automatic part.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts