E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2002 325ci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had a puncture other day. While in the trunk and in a mad rush as the recovery was only 5 mins away I was in the trunk getting my tools to take off my bodykit. Arrives, gets everything sorted and as I turn away the lad who was recovering it closed the boot without me knowing.... great.

So get the car home and now im stuck with my keys in the boot (I have the doors open so I can access inside the car).

Need some ideas on how to get this out, mine is a 325ci 2002. I have tried all of the below and please read before commenting or pointing me in any directions or suggesting *existing threads. As I can guarantee you I have spent the past 4 days none stop watching every video out there and reading every ofrum

1. So I first went to the trunk release in the footwell, mine never came with this so cant use that
  2. Ski pass, being a ci with no folding plates it is just one metal sheet behind the seats. I have broken all the tac welds off the metal plate behind the middle seat, wacked the thing about 500 times with a hammer and the thing just wont come off. Cant grind all the way through either as it will just set the fabric behind the plate on fire (nearlly already happened)
  3. Can;t break that rear lights as you all know whether in the uk is shocking and money is currently in an issue which is why I also haven't had a locksmith or AA/RAC out.
Does anyone know any single way of unlocking the boot, I;ve read every forum and video again and no ones seems to be the same as mine (even coupes from the same year, just starting to fry my head as I really need to be able to drive and is affecting work).

Any questions just let me know, I may have missed off a few things a sim typing this very frantically. Is there anyway to open the boot from inside the cabin?????

·
Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,830 Posts
If the car is unlocked, doesn't the electric boot release button (the one built into the boot handle) work? That's how I open my coupe boot. I only have to put the key in the lock and turn it when the battery is disconnected.

(NB This is for a UK car. US cars are quite possibly coded differently)

If that doesn't work, trying locking and unlocking the car first using the button by the hazard warning switch, and then trying the boot handle button again. Cycling the locking will reset the consumer load timer, in case that's blocked the button out

·
Registered
2002 325ci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the car is unlocked, doesn't the electric boot release button (the one on the boot handle) work? That's how I open my coupe boot. I only have to put the key in the lock and turn it when the battery is disconnected.

(NB This is for a UK car. US cars are quite possibly coded differently)
is there a way to unlock the car from inside the car if that makes sense (bit of a unique situation), I don't have the key so unsure whether it is locked/unlocked as I was in and out of the car before it got recovered. Will the door lock knobs on the side of the car be able to do it? UK car

·
Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,830 Posts
is there a way to unlock the car from inside the car if that makes sense (bit of a unique situation), I don't have the key so unsure whether it is locked/unlocked as I was in and out of the car before it got recovered. Will the door lock knobs on the side of the car be able to do it? UK car
yes, as i say, it's the button next to the hazard light switch. get in the car, press the button once to lock the car, press it again to unlock the car, etc

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,533 Posts
I believe speakers can be removed from parcel shelf which will give access to the boot. Enough to fit your hand in.

If you want to get smart and non-destructive, get access to the EWS. If you jump 12V to the wire leading to the boot lock it'll pop it open. The wire colour is grey-green striped IIRC, but you should be able to get a wiring diagram online.

Had this happen the other day but car was completely locked, recovery guy wedged the boot lid open a bit and cut a slit in the wiring loom going to the boot lid. Then put 12V to the wire through the gap and boot popped open. Very impressed by his work, didn't leave a scratch.

·
Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,830 Posts
So just tried getting in, making sure all doors are closed. Pressed the button and heard central locking, got out and tried boot but still doesnt open
Just to be clear, did you press it once or twice? If you only pressed it once you'll have locked the car. I said to press it twice, to cycle it.

·
Registered
2002 325ci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are your rear lights LED`s if so then I can lend you a set until as and when , thats if you have to break one ?

Mart.
Hi Mart, are these for the
Just to be clear, did you press it once or twice? If you only pressed it once you'll have locked the car. I said to press it twice, to cycle it.
yeh I did it twice mate

1 - 20 of 52 Posts