Percentage of retained
value after 3 years

#1 - BMW 54.5%
#2 - Honda 53.7%
#3 - Lexus 53.2%
#4 - Toyota 52.6%
#5 - Acura 52.1%

Mercedes loses top resale spot

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Mercedes Benz is losing its first place ranking as the car model retaining the greatest percentage of its value over time, according to the firm which tracks that data for the industry.

The 2004 models of the German-made luxury car brand are expected to retain 52 percent of their value after a three-year lease, according to Automotive Lease Guide, the firm whose data is used by lenders and automakers. That's down from an expected retained value of 54.5 percent a year ago. That 52 percent value retention gives Mercedes a sixth-place ranking among brands overall.

Moving into first place in the rankings is rival German automaker BMW, which is now expected to retain 54.5 percent after three years, up from 52.8 percent a year ago. Next on the list is the best ranking for a non-luxury brand, Honda, which is expected to retain 53.7 percent after three years, up from 49.7 percent a year ago.

The retained value estimates try to gauge how much the vehicle will fetch at auction when it comes off a lease compared to its original sticker price. While that figure has a signficant impact on the retail price for the used vehicle, buyers are likely to find prices about 10 percent higher when shopping for a used vehicle from a dealer.

The single vehicle that has the best estimated retained value is BMW's Cooper Mini, which is expected to hold 62 percent of its value after three years. The 2004 vehicle expected to hold onto the the lowest percentage of its value is the Kia Rio, expected to be worth only 27 percent of today's price in three years.

The strong resale data for BMW's and Hondas coming off lease, coupled with new product offerings from those automakers, helped lift those models to the top spots among luxury and non-luxury models.

·
Flex UK Style
2,597 Posts
I hate surveys like this. It means everyone will go out and by a BMW, and thus saturate the market in a few years time and thus lower the price!

Still good to know :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
BigFas said:
I hate surveys like this. It means everyone will go out and by a BMW, and thus saturate the market in a few years time and thus lower the price!

Still good to know :thumbup:
A primary key of resale value is the maker's ability to sell the vehicle when new, assuming they're able to sell it well w/o incentives.

The more they sell new, the more they tend to sell used (assuming they don't need incentives to get rid of them in the first place).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Honda? 2nd BEST resale?
:) That's ridiculous. Who would pay that much (percentage) for a used Honda when the supply for new Honda's is so abundant and incentives still good in favor of the customer?

BTW, where does Audi fit in the used market?
And, is that survey nationwide (US)?

TT

·
Registered
194 Posts
SST said:
Honda? 2nd BEST resale?
:) That's ridiculous. Who would pay that much (percentage) for a used Honda when the supply for new Honda's is so abundant and incentives still good in favor of the customer?

TT
teenagers who cant afford a new one as their first car. i know way too many of them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
BmW4Ever330ci said:
Percentage of retained
value after 3 years

#1 - BMW 54.5%
I am glad that someone else saw this too. Good looking out!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
SST said:

TT
Yeah, it's nationwide. I don't know where Audi fits in, though I hear parent VW has very good resale value among non-lux brands.

·
Crazy Boy
1,377 Posts
BmW4Ever330ci said:
Percentage of retained
value after 3 years

#1 - BMW 54.5%
#2 - Honda 53.7%
#3 - Lexus 53.2%
#4 - Toyota 52.6%
#5 - Acura 52.1%

Mercedes loses top resale spot

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Mercedes Benz is losing its first place ranking as the car model retaining the greatest percentage of its value over time, according to the firm which tracks that data for the industry.

The 2004 models of the German-made luxury car brand are expected to retain 52 percent of their value after a three-year lease, according to Automotive Lease Guide, the firm whose data is used by lenders and automakers. That's down from an expected retained value of 54.5 percent a year ago. That 52 percent value retention gives Mercedes a sixth-place ranking among brands overall.

Moving into first place in the rankings is rival German automaker BMW, which is now expected to retain 54.5 percent after three years, up from 52.8 percent a year ago. Next on the list is the best ranking for a non-luxury brand, Honda, which is expected to retain 53.7 percent after three years, up from 49.7 percent a year ago.

The retained value estimates try to gauge how much the vehicle will fetch at auction when it comes off a lease compared to its original sticker price. While that figure has a signficant impact on the retail price for the used vehicle, buyers are likely to find prices about 10 percent higher when shopping for a used vehicle from a dealer.

The single vehicle that has the best estimated retained value is BMW's Cooper Mini, which is expected to hold 62 percent of its value after three years. The 2004 vehicle expected to hold onto the the lowest percentage of its value is the Kia Rio, expected to be worth only 27 percent of today's price in three years.

The strong resale data for BMW's and Hondas coming off lease, coupled with new product offerings from those automakers, helped lift those models to the top spots among luxury and non-luxury models.
Its party because Mercedes changes its model designs every 6 years. so the past few years they changed alot.... thats why the vaule drops...

Or else MB would still have the highest.

·
Registered
187 Posts
in my own experience in looking for a car for the past several months on ads and ebaymotors, i can say that anything MB, Audi, and BMW retains their value.....anything Japanese doesn't, especially Acuras, I find it hard to believe Honda is #2

again, this is just my experience, not facts based

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm a little surprised BMW was able be #1 even though the 7 series is predicted to have terrible resale value (something like 40%). I guess that means the 3 series and the rest of the lineup must be pretty high to keep the company above 50%. More good news for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts