BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW announced yet again that they have switched suppliers for their oils. We are now going away from Shell and onto BP (British Petroleum) for BMW branded oils. Under the Castrol label. (BP owns Castrol)

Let the confusion, theories & who is better begin again.
Sigh.

I'll stick with my Liqui Moly and Fuchs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My car will be happy that I will be following the instructions on the oil cap again and putting in castrol

On a serious note, does anyone care about which oil company paid BMW the most?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car will be happy that I will be following the instructions on the oil cap again and putting in castrol
Here in the USA, there was an antitrust lawsuit. So they had to change the cap to "BMW recommends Castrol."
LOL

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On a serious note, does anyone care about which oil company paid BMW the most?
I think you mean: Who could they get it the cheapest from?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zactly

·
Registered
511 Posts
What I learned from my little experience trough years and new/old cars:

use a good quality oil and make oil changes always with the same brand, specification, quality and if possible, change it at least at suggested intervals, if not possible to make it before. "War of brands" is not a good idea, in every field.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you mean: Who could they get it the cheapest from?
Yeah that makes more sense lol.

They can't deny warranty for using oil from another brand (in the EU at least, hope this applies to the US too), so this is only relevant to the dealer network

I expect if you buy from anywhere else, you'll either have a preference or look for LL-01 (in the case of e46s)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's the "common sense" bottom line:

Our e46 vehicles are now from 15 - 24 years old. These are nowhere near new vehicles - and no one is making car payments on these anymore. Unless you have a seriously modified motor and are racing your e46, simply choose a good quality synthetic oil and filter and change your oil on a regular basis. Be sure to check your oil once every week or two and top off if needed.

All this talk about which oil is superior is honestly nonsense for the overwhelming majority of e46 owners. I have used Mobil-1 0W-40 since I got my e46; and I change oil religiously every 10K miles. I never drive my car hard enough, hot enough, high revving enough that this additive or that additive, or switching back and forth between whichever brand(s) BMW recommends THIS year... is ever going to make ONE BIT of tangible difference in the performance, fuel economy, or engine life of my vehicle. Period. AND IT'S THE SAME FOR ALMOST ALL OF YOU.

If you want to obsess, obsess over doing ALL the recommended maintenance and checks on the rest of your vehicle in a timely manner. Fix the burnt out bulbs; check those brake pads and tire wear and clean your leatherette seats and interior more often. Change that air filter and fuel filter and spark plugs and coil packs before you break down on the side of the road somewhere. Make sure your coolant is not 20 years old; check for leaks or deterioration in the cooling system. Wash and wax regularly and check for hints of rust or corrosion. CEL comes on, don't wait weeks / months to troubleshoot and repair. All those things will contribute SO MUCH MORE to a longer and more pleasurable life for your e46 (and for you) than chasing oil specifications...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I only use the blue oil.

The green oil may destroy my vegemite sandwich.

At Midnight.

t
offs

Reactions: Bidno

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
I'll stick with my 3-5K OCI and Rotella.

So much hand-wringing over oil. I guess everyone's cars must be in tip-top shape to spend so much time and mental energy focused on trivial stuff like this.

That said, we hadn't had an oil thread on here for a while, so I guess we were due... 😂

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
3,211 Posts
BMW announced yet again that they have switched suppliers for their oils. We are now going away from Shell
So, what this means is that technically Rotella T6 was in fact the correct oil all this time ... I knew I was right!!

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
661 Posts
i can just imagine the outrage if Warren industries makes a play at these AUTOmakers and WIN the contract....that would be one interesting thread....

·
Registered
10,375 Posts
The single most important quality of motor oil is that there is some. 5w30 or 10w30 will make a difference in getting a 1,000,000 or 1,100,000, but won't change much otherwise.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts