BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that I have one of only a few years that the E46 had the 5L40-E GM auto tranny.

So now that I'm looking into mods for my BMW I keep hitting a wall of "the tranny won't take it." My response until I break something or hear from someone that broke something and what broke … is "bull****"

So my questions are:

Other than software has anyone played with this tranny? I have the Dinan tranny software and while over priced, remapping the shift points was nice, but does nothing to increase the amount of power the unit will hold.

What other cars other than BMWs (if any) was it used in?

Do any of the aftermarket parts (valve bodies, torque converters, etc.) fit?

What is different (other than software / shifter) from this unit to the step that most people have? I know the step is a ZF 5HP19 unit that I even less about.

The 4L60-E / TH700 is a decent tranny (84 and up Corvettes) …. What is different in the 5L40-E?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tim330i said:
That is cool that they give exact max torque numbers. Looks like you are limited to 221 ft/lbs for mods before you start to run the risk of breaking stuff.
Thanks.

The strange thing is that is seems that this is also the tranny used in the Cadillac CTS ... rated at 220 or 252 ft / lbs of torque. When GM claims:

Maximum Engine Torque:
288 lb-ft (Diesel)
221 lb-ft (Gas)

Maximum Gearbox Torque:
494 lb-ft

For the transmission

... now I wonder what the difference betwen the 2 torque specs is.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,825 Posts
CTS is rated to 220 ft/lbs according to carpoint.

The engine torque is the max input. The max gearbox torque is probably the max output.

Tim

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the optional bigger motor the CTS is rated at 252 ft/lbs and you can get the motor with the auto tranny.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,825 Posts
hmmm, maybe they beefed it up? Or maybe the specs are wrong? I wouldn't count on it handling much more than in the 220 range.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Which CTS? The latest CTS uses a new tranny.

The latest model CTS uses a newer replacement to the 5L40 GM tranny.

chmdrm said:
With the optional bigger motor the CTS is rated at 252 ft/lbs and you can get the motor with the auto tranny.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know

From Cadillac.com

Engine Type 3.2L V6 DOHC
3.6L V6 VVT
Horsepower/Torque 220 hp at 6,000 rpm (3.2L V6 DOHC)
220 lb-ft at 3,400 rpm (3.2L V6 DOHC)
255 hp at 6,500 rpm (3.6L V6 VVT)
252 lb-ft at 2,800 rpm (3.6L V6 VVT)
Standard Transmission Getrag manual 5-speed with mechanical shift linkage
Optional Transmission Automatic 5-speed transmission 5L40-E Hydra-Matic with electronic controls, includes winter and sport modes
Drive System Rear-wheel drive
Fuel Economy 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway 3.2L V6 DOHC
17 mpg city/28 mpg highway 3.6L VVT
Towing Capacity 1,000 lbs.*

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So thinking about it.

If GM changed / upgraded the 5L40 to handle at least 252 and I'm guessing for warrenty etc. closer to 300 ft/lbs ... but did not change the model number ... it can't be that big a change right?

Looks like with a "winter" and "sport" mode the software is different but not sure what else.

Any ideas on how to find out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts