E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Go Lakers!!!
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here driven a Formula One car? I'm watching SPEED Channel right now and they are showing the 1994 F1 Grand Prix Race in Monaco. WOW, these cars are amazingly FAST! Anyone know what the 0-60 is on one of these? I know they have a ridiculous amount of HP, somewhere like 900 HP. I think it would be real fun to be able to drive one of these SuperFast race cars!

·
Registered
36 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
Has anyone here driven a Formula One car? I'm watching SPEED Channel right now and they are showing the 1994 F1 Grand Prix Race in Monaco. WOW, these cars are amazingly FAST! Anyone know what the 0-60 is on one of these? I know they have a ridiculous amount of HP, somewhere like 900 HP. I think it would be real fun to be able to drive one of these SuperFast race cars!

Well, the McLaren F1 supercar, which is a street-legal version of the McLaren F1 racecar, does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and 0-100 in 6.4 seconds, so I imagine the actual McLaren F1 racecar might do 0-60 in 3 seconds, depending on the gearing and tires . . . Maybe even faster since it would be lighter without the burden of 3 seats, safety systems, a stereo, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SizzlerMA said:
Well, the McLaren F1 supercar, which is a street-legal version of the McLaren F1 racecar, does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and 0-100 in 6.4 seconds, so I imagine the actual McLaren F1 racecar might do 0-60 in 3 seconds, depending on the gearing and tires . . . Maybe even faster since it would be lighter without the burden of 3 seats, safety systems, a stereo, etc.
at this point the McLaren F1 and the McLaren Mercedes F1 car are NOTHING alike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
F1 performance

Not much data around.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/4994/mclaren_facts.html
quotes 0-100mph 3.6 seconds, 0-100-0mph 6.6 seconds for a McLaren MP4-16 (2000 I think)
http://www.sap.com/denmark/sapforum/4.pdf is a pdf file that appears to be a promo PowerPoint from McLaren. It quotes 0-100 kh in 2.3s, 0-200 kh in 5s and braking 330-100 kh in 3.2 s. The braking spec indicates about 60% more HP in the brakes than the engine - maybe 1500 HP.
There are several places around the world that offer to let you drive a old F1 car. One group in France has worked with Michelin to offer drives in old Arrows and Toleman cars. http://www.speedycam.be/drivingexperience.html.
There are numerous F1 cars being vintage raced in the US and Europe. Racecar Engineering Magazine recently had an article on a guy in the UK who wrote software for a Peugeot F1 engined F1 car for a vintage racer.
The problem with the most recent cars is the massive support crews needed to operate them!

·
Registered
174 Posts
You must be new to F1 racing. The F1 paddock area is as closely guarded as a military installation. You rarely get a chance to even see the cars aside from when they are on the track, let alone drive one. It's nothing like American racing where you can get close to the drivers and cars. I do believe Michelin has some program where for a whole lot of money you can drive an old F1 car.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
SizzlerMA said:
Umm, the McLaren F1 GTR != Formula 1 car.

I'm not sure what you meant by that convoluted post.

The FW-26 can go 0-100-0 quicker than most cars here can go 0-60. I just hope they do something in Barcelona this weekend.

The 1994 Season was a very sad year for F1.... :cry:

The Spanish GP is this weekend. I watched Practice 2 Live this morning (and recorded it with the PVR). Qualifying is tomorrow morning at 8am and the GP is Sunday at 7.30am (race starts around 8am).

I also get the ITV Feed rips a couple days later.

I have my own functional FW-25. :)

V10.

> HREs.

> PSS9s.

> You.

Anyone going to the USGP this year? It's only a month away.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Ferrari has a program where they will sell their last generation F1 models to regular people, and by regular people, I mean you've had to purchase a Ferrari sometime in the past, and most likely more than one. The prices wasn't bad for what you get, and the thing is... they will teach you how to drive it, and have a team that repairs and maintains the car for you, free of charge... even if you are the one doing damage to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have the lego one too, wish it had some more features, like a gear box.

And the McLaren F1 supercar, ie. the three seater, is not a Formula One car.

the new BMW F1 car has a rev limit of around 18200 rpm i believe, now thats fast for an internal combustion engine :pimpin:

·
Go Lakers!!!
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
///M3Matt said:
No one here has ever driven an F1 car. They are crazy they go from a complete stop to 120mph to a complete stop in under 7 seconds :D
I can't begin to imagine the adrenaline rush I would get from that experience!!!!!! :yikes:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
GordonMurray said:
Umm, the McLaren F1 GTR != Formula 1 car.

I'm not sure what you meant by that convoluted post.

The FW-26 can go 0-100-0 quicker than most cars here can go 0-60. I just hope they do something in Barcelona this weekend.

The 1994 Season was a very sad year for F1.... :cry:

The Spanish GP is this weekend. I watched Practice 2 Live this morning (and recorded it with the PVR). Qualifying is tomorrow morning at 8am and the GP is Sunday at 7.30am (race starts around 8am).

I also get the ITV Feed rips a couple days later.

I have my own functional FW-25. :)

V10.

> HREs.

> PSS9s.

> You.

Anyone going to the USGP this year? It's only a month away.
where'd you get it?

I'm not even going to ask the price because I must have it!

·
The Stig
599 Posts
First things first the Mc Laren Supercar is a Mclaren Chassis with a BMW V12 for those of you who didnt know, and weighs about 800lbs more than and F-one car. I doubt anyone here has driven an F-one car and if there is someone here who has driven then they are definitely hooked up or have insane amounts of money. And if the person who has driven an F-One car is reading this, I ENVY YOU! :drool:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Penguin Koolaid said:
Ferrari has a program where they will sell their last generation F1 models to regular people, and by regular people, I mean you've had to purchase a Ferrari sometime in the past, and most likely more than one. The prices wasn't bad for what you get, and the thing is... they will teach you how to drive it, and have a team that repairs and maintains the car for you, free of charge... even if you are the one doing damage to it.

yup, cant remember where i read that, do you know where you got that info, its gonna drive me nuts trying to remember

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.