E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,886 Posts
Just wondering if anybody has a solution for securing the Velcro to the bottom of the floormat. I have an example picture below. Also best way to clean them when they're dirty?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JpKfbRMEkl_FrVGzoN4PAGtWVmvjw-f6/view?usp=sharing
I have a solution that's held for 7-8 years without any sing of tearing:

1. Buy brand new floor mats.
2. Stitch the Velcro circles to the mats around the periphery using a think needle, pliers, and a strong thread of the same color as the mats.
3. Install the mats, and don't forget to use the supplied new plastic pieces that go under them.

This was a lot of work (eight Velcro pieces to stitch, as each mat has two of these), but looking back now, I'm glad I did it.

The driver mat piece now has minor wear top side, but still looks brand new underneath. Use to be the other way around with my previous mat sets...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,379 Posts
either upgrade to BMW’s bayonet locking fastener or remove the foam from the area of the Velcro patch that peeled off and glue it back to mat with gorilla glue.

I have several threads/posts on this with the locking bayonet tabs over the decade.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
I love my new mats...glad I got them. Much improved over the older style with crappy, think foam backing. (But, as suggested, you could glue the velcro circles onto the mat after removing that foam.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought factory BMW rubber mats for our xi, which have nice hooks that mount in the floor. They don't move at all, and keep the carpets/interior quite clean throughout the year. Easier to clean as well. The PNW weather necessitates something above the standard carpeted mats, as debris and rain amounts are greater. I believe the "factory" BMW mats are made by Weather Tech.
Regards

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I’ve had rubber mats laid on top of the carpet mats for years. My carpets are pristine.

However I recently wanted to remove them to clean the carpet underneath. Of course the Velcro ripped the foam when I pulled up the mats.

Since the rubber mats were really dirty I decided not to re-install them. I noticed right away that the cabin is much quieter. The rubber must reflect sounds much more than bare carpet.

I won’t go back to large rubber mats again.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,886 Posts
^Yes, the carpet floor mats are very nice, especially in places where it doesn't rain much.
The only flaw is that the Velcro strips are attached to the bottom layer only, which doesn't adhere firmly to the top side. Once this is addressed, these mats last for years.
I don't like the bayonet style fasteners that go through the mats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I second the advice of removing that crappy foam backing and straight gluing your velcro onto the back of the mats. I've been running that on my M3 for a while now after not finding suitable replacement mats w/ the velcro.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,586 Posts
I second the Weathertech floor protectors suggestion. I keep mine in all year long, just wish the POs had put them in too. There is a lot of salt in the carpet around the gas pedal. I haven't found a way to remove it yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
2011 335i xDrive, 2003 325xi 5spd SOLD
1,281 Posts
You're telling me BMW does the velcro pads from factory? Very new info to me! I have rubber winter mats in my car, couldnt stand to get the beige mats dirty

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,379 Posts
To each his own. I personally think the rubber mats look way better.
I kept my back seat carpet because it's a coupe and rarely does anyone sit back there
i guess it's all subjective. but seeing how the top of the line BMWs come with carpet inside it's hard to fathom how the rubber weather style mats looks better than carpet. :dunno:
it's like those grandmas putting plastic protectors over their sofas. sure i have a rubber door mat at my home's entrance. but i don't have rubber mats inside my home.

heck i even have the M3 carpet trunk mat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i guess it's all subjective. but seeing how the top of the line BMWs come with carpet inside it's hard to fathom how the rubber weather style mats looks better than carpet. :dunno:

it's like those grandmas putting plastic protectors over their sofas. sure i have a rubber door mat at my home's entrance. but i don't have rubber mats inside my home.

heck i even have the M3 carpet trunk mat.

Absolutely. It’s completely subjective. For me it’s kind of a must though because I live in Seattle. I wonder what I would have done if lived in a drier climate...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts