E46 Fanatics Forum banner
8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  maurer 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I'm going to quickly breakdown the problem. At first my car could beep then all the warning lights would come on. The problem persisted so i took it to a diagnostic and it was identified as a camshaft and crankshaft sensor problem. I changed the 2 camshaft sensors and for a while the problem was gone. And then the problem came back so i bought the crankshaft sensor and had it changed since it quite a tough job. It was changed and all the errors were cleared. A new problem started the car now shudders and doesn't idle smoothly. The guys told me they thought it was an alternator so they got a new alternator, changed it then guess what same problem so heres a video. Help please!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGaZ3dSjxM

#12 ·
a vacuum leak is any unmetered air entering the engine, so its whatever isnt measured by the mass air flow sensor. the intake boot has ribs on it and it could easily be cracked on one of them, it takes a few minutes to check, and will at least eliminate that possibility, my suggestion is if you dont have much experience fixing cars then dont screw with anything but just take it to a shop. itll be cheaper than throwing parts at it.

#13 ·
The vacuum leak is probably under the oil cap; it's a common problem on these cars. All you need to do is unscrew it, stuff a sock or something down in there, and screw it back on.;)

Ok, seriously though, don't do that. I'd take it to another mechanic, one who isn't going to throw parts at a problem they can't diagnose. I'm not sure you should be trying to fix this yourself--it is likely that you're going to do more harm than good to your "beemer" if you open the hood without supervision.

Does the same thing occur when the car is under load? Ie, not just when revving up in park? It seems like it could be a vac leak, or some problem with fuel/spark delivery. Fuel filter, maybe?

#14 ·
Well the thing is im not totally daft with cars i mean ive changed a Peugeot 306 engine on my own but thats a huge jump to a BMW with an engine layout, components and parts you have never seen before, I have the tools and thats why i changed the camshaft sensors on my own but im out of my depth with BMW way out. I've never owned one so as you can imagine this is a huge step up.

Anyway back to the subject when i bought this car it hadn't moved for about 6 months, there was no leak no nothing, now theres a leak on the car and occasionally i smell oil. through the research i've done ive come across something with the Vanos?? whats this about?? Anyway if the car is movinng if i accelerate hard it does exactly whats in the video so above 2-3k rpm it does that. The problem has changed from the original problem. It used to be a beep then it would shut down and all warning lights come on. Then when i changed the 2 cam sensors it was fine for about 3 days then it would start acting up when it gets warm. Then i had the crank sensor changed now it does whats in the video and theres a really fresh looking oil leak. SO the problems eliminated (2camshaft sensors, crankshaft sensor, alternator).

#15 ·
Engine swaps, but don't know what a vacuum leak is? Perhaps they call it something different across the pond.

Sitting for 6 months makes me suspect the fuel system any more. If you guys have an ethanol blend like we have over here, it can wreak havoc on lines, pump, filters, injectors, etc. when it sits in there for a while.

Does it still do it only when warm? No CEL codes have been thrown thus far, right?

The oil leak is in 99% likelihood unrelated to your issue, but still needs to be fixed. Probably the valve cover gasket.

#18 ·
An engine swap on a 1997 Pug doesn't take a science degree I know I sounded dumb but I get what everyone means by a vacuum leak but I didn't know what areas can leak. The thing is I've heard about 10 possible solutions to the problem and it's taking me in circles. I'm grateful for the help tho I mean I didn't even get a reply from another rival site where I have withdrawn my membership. I'm just going to take it to my local BMW dealership for a check because the local garage I'm using they have no clue

#19 ·
No way a vacuum leak will cause that!!! Notice how smooth the idle went down and stayed down with his foot off the gas. I would check all battery connections, also check connections at the alternator. The reason your batt light is on is because voltage has either dropped below spec or above. In this case it may be above since it happens at high rpms. A alt putting out more than recommended voltage will ruin your cars electronics and even damage your headlights. Good luck

#20 ·
Thought i'd update on this, i took my car to my local Vines BMW and they said the problem is with the crankshaft sensor (the same sensor i had changed a few days ago) and the Alternator apparently is acting up too (the same alternator i also had changed)

SO my question is do i need OEM sensors and alternators because i'm kinda stuck? Apparently the leak is the rocker cover gasket

#22 ·
One of the other things that came from the diagnosis was Alternator over voltage. After doing research I leaned BMW call the voltage regulator over voltage anyway they quoted me £629 to get it fixed which is crazy talk but I got a diagnosis and valet from it so I'm not complaining much

Sent from my A500 using Bimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.