BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a slight problem.....
Currently my BMW 325ci has a lot of slop sideways in gears 1-4. Gear 5 and reverse don't seem to have this issue as much probably because they are used less? There is a slight up and down movement as well. I have been doing some research and I believe the bushings are worn out.

I'm not sure exactly what I need and hopeful someone who had a similar issue could assist me. The cup that holds the ball looking joint has some wear around the edges visible from the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will be repairing this myself :D

Attachments

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,262 Posts
There are 2 factors that affect shift notchiness in an E46: The shifter bushings associated with the linkage, and the shift pins in the transmission. The former are pretty easy to replace assuming you can drop the exhaust and driveshaft (I did it without doing so and it was hell), but the latter require the trans to be removed. Replacing the bushings will improve overall slop, and refreshing the shift pins will correct a reluctance to shift into 5th and vagueness in returning to the neutral position.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too had a lot of play in my shifter. Just last week I replaced all of the bushings in the shifter assembly and also replaced the shift lever with one from an e60. The results are fantastic! Shorter throws and the slop is gone. I recommend you do this mod. LoveBeingUseless did a great DIY on how to do it. Parts will run you between $100 and $150. He goes so far as to remove the transmission cross brace; I didn't have to do that. However, I do strongly recommend you disconnect the drive shaft from the transmission. This might not fixed the notchiness but it will definitely eliminate the slop.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=900208

1 - 3 of 3 Posts