E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That’s what I don’t understand with me bleeding it. I had proper heat and everything. Although I did notice the far right side wasn’t blowing heat but figured that could be something unrelated or not serious. Maybe my car isn’t overheating and it is just a sensor.
I’ll bleed it again next weekend when I come home then turn on the OBC reader and go from there and drive it around and see if it overheats again. Really frustrating but sometimes I wish I never messed with anything at all because it worked just fine before I did. Maybe my lucks really bad too

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ll bleed it again next weekend when I come home then turn on the OBC reader and go from there and drive it around and see if it overheats again. Really frustrating but sometimes I wish I never messed with anything at all because it worked just fine before I did. Maybe my lucks really bad too
Spend the $20 on that funnel. It will take all the guesswork out of bleeding (and the mess). You can let the car idle as long as you need to get all the air out.

It's worth clarifying from my earlier post - you should NEVER "top up" the cooling system when the coolant is cold. That's very bad. However, the process I describe where it's topped up when it's hot, is completely different.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just hearing the symptoms (overheat with no leak), I would have guessed bad thermostat or fan. Have you verified that the fan runs when the temp heads toward overheat? If fan runs, then assume it is the thermostat. If fan does not run, may be fan clutch problem. I know you are on 3rd stat. If you don't want to buy another, take one of your old stats and modify guts so stat is always open. Install and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
Just hearing the symptoms (overheat with no leak), I would have guessed bad thermostat or fan. Have you verified that the fan runs when the temp heads toward overheat? If fan runs, then assume it is the thermostat. If fan does not run, may be fan clutch problem. I know you are on 3rd stat. If you don't want to buy another, take one of your old stats and modify guts so stat is always open. Install and see what happens.
He's overheating at highway speeds, not idle. That should rule out fan issues.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
We have been awaiting news on the fan, and the driving conditions when it overheats.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The fan worked at idle. I believe I may have just had air in the system because the car didn’t overheat immediately when I turned it back on
at that point though I had already called the tow truck and was at a safe part on the road and didn’t want to risk it. I have AAA now and I had to get to campus

·
Registered
37 Posts
What do you mean by topping up?
You commented on my bleed procedure that you'd be capping off the system when it's full to the brim - which is fine because the coolant is hot, and you will be at or below the correct level once the water cools down.

I wanted to clarify that, if you have a cold engine and you fill coolant to the brim that's very bad news. As the coolant will have no place to expand and you're going to have a big problem.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You commented on my bleed procedure that you'd be capping off the system when it's full to the brim - which is fine because the coolant is hot, and you will be at or below the correct level once the water cools down.

I wanted to clarify that, if you have a cold engine and you fill coolant to the brim that's very bad news. As the coolant will have no place to expand and you're going to have a big problem.
Agreed. I suggest setting COLD so float tip is even with neck top. But to me, topping up means periodic adjustment, which is different than filling to the brim, which I think you are referring to. Which is a NO-NO.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,206 Posts
Agreed. I suggest setting COLD so float tip is even with neck top. But to me, topping up means periodic adjustment, which is different than filling to the brim, which I think you are referring to. Which is a NO-NO.
I read that post to mean that you were to check level the next morning when it's cold and he would expect it to be low, and then "top up" to the correct level as read on the indicator stick.

I'm still not sure that I agree with his procedure, but I didn't read anything to indicate that he's recommending filling to the brim.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,476 Posts
Not exactly. Because the system has been heating to the air, the coolant has been allowed to expand more than it would if it was heating under the pressure of the system. That's why, believe it or not, once the system cools the level will be close to perfect, if not a little low.

It's easy of course to validate my procedure - but I've found almost every time I need to add a little coolant the next morning.
but I've found almost every time I need to add a little coolant the next morning.

We find this to be true with most cars that are bereft of an electric coolant pump & the "bleeding procedure", therefore we endeavor to keep the car overnight. The cold engine (next morning) will allow for one to make for a perfect fill level.

·
Registered
2002 330i 5 Speed
637 Posts
41 - 60 of 92 Posts