1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a BMW E46 2005
The air conditioner in my car was not very cold in the summer
The mechanic said there was a problem with the heater valve
And when he bypass the heater valve completely
The problem was solved and the air conditioner cooled
Now I don't want to buy a new heater valve and I want to repair my own heater valve
Does anyone know how I can repair it? And which part of the heater valve should I repair?
I didn't find any video about how to repair it on YouTube

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
Turns out there are several different heater valves used in BMW's... Since it is already bypassed, I would pull your heater valve from the car and use the part number on it to buy the appropriate seal kit from a reputable seller on Ebay or amazon. I have an E53, which used several different heater valves (maybe the e46 only used one). I bought a seal kit, replaced seals based on a youtube video and reinstalled it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Turns out there are several different heater valves used in BMW's... Since it is already bypassed, I would pull your heater valve from the car and use the part number on it to buy the appropriate seal kit from a reputable seller on Ebay or amazon. I have an E53, which used several different heater valves (maybe the e46 only used one). I bought a seal kit, replaced seals based on a youtube video and reinstalled it.
I have the e83...this car is a sav version of the e46...my engine m54 here's an example of the heater valve...some cost more or even less.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
That looks like a used OEM heater valve. With an average of 15-16 yrs on these cars, a used module will likely have worn seals like the OP.

There are several aftermarket heater valves available at cheaper prices (FCP has a Febi unit for $80) but many folks have said the aftermarket units fail... I think the best cheap option is to rebuild an OE unit with new seals.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That looks like a used OEM heater valve. With an average of 15-16 yrs on these cars, a used module will likely have worn seals like the OP.

There are several aftermarket heater valves available at cheaper prices (FCP has a Febi unit for $80) but many folks have said the aftermarket units fail... I think the best cheap option is to rebuild an OE unit with new seals.
"Just an example" to give op a point of reference.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,035 Posts
Trying to repair it rather than replacing it is a waste of time, IMO. It's not ridiculously expensive and it's very easy to get at under the hood. If it were hundreds of $$$, I could see spending $30 on the rebuild kit, but I just spent the $80 for the Febi unit from FCP (with their warranty) and put it in. Took 20 minutes.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
well if you have the secondary pump heater valve like me those are more expensive. but the base ones aren’t really expensive.
if you know the issue you have with your valve it’s helps decide. because if you replace the internal seals and/or plunger and it’s electrical then you’ve wasted time and money. if it’s just seals or plunger and it’s the expensive unit it’s worthwhile imho to repair.
FERRULLI sells a kit and it’s one of the better ones(used it). comes with seals, plunger and new screws. and yes those screws do snap (flush) and makes the repair a pita.
so there’s the dilemma, buy new no risk or pay 30%-50% for a kit that may fix it (or not be the complete issue)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought one from FCPEuro.com that was OE but not BMW branded. I replaced in my 2002 E46 330xi and in my 2007 E70 X5. No problems since. They were relatively inexpensive and quickly done. The price difference of the new unit versus the price of the kit and the time to rebuild it allowed me to spend a bit more.

Just so you know I have replaced entire suspension and brake systems in other BMWs so I’m not afraid of the work. Sometimes the time can be better spent on something else.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
FCP does not appear to be currently selling a non-genuine OE heater valve for the E46. Other than the genuine bmw valve, they are only selling a Febi brand that is made in Taiwan. It is not labeled OE or OEM or anything. There is only 1 review on it.

What brand OE valve did you install? I think Bosch might have made these valves, though not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.