This summer this project was finished ,few words abot modificatons:
Engine- m62b44 non vanos
gearbox-6speed manual
gearshaft - rear side m3,front side customized 540 e39
rear axel-M3
front axel -m3/330i
suspension -AP coil overs
Brakes-M3
We had problems with dash coding,because when ecu,ews and dash connected each other thru can ,dme coding failed. To solve this problem we cutted of the ews and made an emulator in ecu.
Engine mouns were made from 5mm stell so are the places where rubber mounting on subframe. If someone will swap V8 its easier to take subframe from e30 with fron stabilizator bar (e30 has it on the other side and dont disturb oil pan)Also 30mm spacers neede between subframe and body.
Oil pan also needs to be cutted a bit ,to get some free plase to mount engine max backside ang downside for better hadling.
Ehxaust headers are from X5 ,ehxaust piping made like this because e46 body doesnt have enough place for pipe on the drivers side as e30&e36.
If some one have any questions,please ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
awesome!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Nice! Planning on repainting any of the mounts?

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's cool, it looks really well done.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Do you have any pictures of exhaust headers? You did say that X5 headers were used, but were they modified?

Edit: Don't first gen X5s and e46 share the chassis? If they do, then I am curious if M62 swap could be done without custom made exhaust headers and/or steering link mods .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left side needs to be modified because of the steering shaft position,right side fits perfect. X5 and any e46 are not the same chasis,some parts from e46 are in the X3 but X3 wasnt with V8:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Left side needs to be modified because of the steering shaft position,right side fits perfect. X5 and any e46 are not the same chasis,some parts from e46 are in the X3 but X3 wasnt with V8:D
Ahh, neat. How about swapping wires and electronics?
Just some minor re-wiring and moving pins?

I have been eyeing M62 on local craigslist. Complete 4.6 engine for a grand.
Was thinking about taking break from college this summer and doing the swap since we already have welding machine, engine hoist and stand, and more than enough tools.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4.4 is better than 4.6,not more powerfull but more relieble.With wires -not such difficult,just take both diagrams and connect;)If you want abs and asc works,abs module,sensors etc must be from e39 (if engine is from e39)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
More pictures or videos? I still think this project is amazing. A swap like this would be awesome after college.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More pictures or videos? I still think this project is amazing. A swap like this would be awesome after college.
What I have posted is all we have,it wasn't enough time for this project,so it is as it is. Maby our customer will send me some photos after the car will be with new interrior and after the paint shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi MAXixt,

I am planning this swap. you mention that the e30 subframe will be easier for the swap... what do you mean?
And what modification does the oil sump need to fit?

Also could e39 front subframe go into e46 for even easier install??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts