BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANv83OJk--4&feature=g-all-u

A short video review with some cool scenes and some great sounds.

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Automobile Magazine's Jason Cammisa rekindles a classic European sports sedan battle, pitting the legendary BMW E30 M3 against it's Cosworth-powered rival, the Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16. Find out which homologation special is the most special of all!

·
Registered
33,399 Posts
Kind of unfair, like they said in the video. I vote for the Merc 190E 2.5-16 Evo II.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which do you respect more, Miles?
Street performance and legacy, the E30 M3 wins. For everything else, including respect, the 190E. Way better engineered and built car in every way despite being released 3 years before the M3.

If the 190E had electronic fuel injection instead of mechanical, it would have matched or beat the E30 M3 in power, and it sacrificed some handling, but in return it got a much more enjoyable interior, along with 2 extra Recaros seats in the rear and two rear doors. If you like modding, the 190E also has a lot more potential than the already maximized M3.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Street performance and legacy, the E30 M3 wins. For everything else, including respect, the 190E. Way better engineered and built car in every way despite being released 3 years before the M3.

If the 190E had electronic fuel injection instead of mechanical, it would have matched or beat the E30 M3 in power, and it sacrificed some handling, but in return it got a much more enjoyable interior, along with 2 extra Recaros seats in the rear and two rear doors. If you like modding, the 190E also has a lot more potential than the already maximized M3.
Better engineered with arcane, old technology? You brought up the demise of your own argument. I've never really thought of the 190E as having a better interior either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I believe they called the Merc 190e the most successful touring car of all time, and a certain F1 driver called it a "wolf in wolve's clothing"

it won many many Championships including the World Touring Car Championship; 1 title (in 1987), European Touring Car Championship; 2 titles (in 1987 and then again in 1988), British Touring Car Championship; 2 titles (1988 and 1991), Italia Superturismo Championship; 4 titles (1987, 1989, 1990 and 1991), Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM for all the noobs :hi:); 2 titles (1987 and 1989), Australian Touring Car Championship; 1 title (1987) and the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring 4 time in a row!!! (1989 – 1992) as well as Spa 24hr race in 1987, 1988, 1990 and 1992, and many other one off races and stages in different race series.

oh wait... no Im sorry it wasnt the Merc :4ngie: it was the e30 ///M3!!!

haha ok ok, maybe I am a little biased :D

·
Registered
33,399 Posts
Better engineered with arcane, old technology? You brought up the demise of your own argument. I've never really thought of the 190E as having a better interior either.
Newer technology does not necessarily mean better engineered. Cammisa himself argues that "progress" isn't always so. BMW decided to chase Mercedes down in their quest for pointless gadgets, and with lukewarm results. People fondly remember the E38, but would rather forget the E65. The W140 S-Class was built to outlast the families that bought them, while the W220 that followed seemed downright disposable.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who said anything about arcane old technology? And what demise are you talking about? The 190E had multi-link rear suspension 22 years before the 3 series had it and a hydraulically lifting nose to clear speed bumps 16 years before the porsche carrera had it. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I prefer this. :eeps:

Just because it's only a Volvo. A shitty looking boxy old Volvo. Nothing more. :eeps:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts