BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Is the Brembo big brake upgrade worthwhile or just get cross drilled rotors for all 4 corners. My driving is a bit spirited but I am looking to replace rotors and pads soon. 2004 330Ci convertible with sport package. Thanks for your advice.
A big brake is overkill for a non tracked car. The big benifit is being able to soak up more heat to avoid fade. Not something you have to worry about too much on the street. It won't reduce your stopping distance as your stock brakes can likely overpower the traction your tires can provide. If you were running aggressive rubber, then it may help to go to a brake with a larger friction surface. A big brake kit would also add to unsprung mass, and mess around with your brake bias.

Also no point in cross drilled rotors. They can be more prone to cracking.

Good pads, quality oem spec rotors, good fluid and enjoy.

Sent from my tractor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The type of brake rotor does little to absolutly nothing for brake performance. If you want more stopping power get a high performance brake pad. Drilled rotors WILL crack every time you track them if they get enough heat. The only reason you would get drilled rotors is for the "Look", not for performance.

When you beat your blank rotors up to the point they look like this from heat then you should upgrade to a bigger brake kit. If these were drilled they would be cracked all the way through instead of surface cracks from heat. And again this will only happen on the race track. I can tell you for experience that a higher performance brake pad will feel like you doubled or even tripled your braking power without doing anything to rotors or calipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Zimo32, I second that. Big brakes should be for track when stock doesn't cut it.

A quality rotor will do the same as any other quality rotor. Cheap rotors, whole other story when they skimp on metal (less mass to absorb heat).

On a car with good condition brakes I've never encountered a situation where I've thought "I need more braking power".

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
69 year old fart that loves his drop top

Thank you, Thank you, Think you. I have owned several 911's and this car is a peach. I think it may be my last hot rod. It is much more fun than the 911's, in a different way. Again I appreciate the response on the brakes. :clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, in relation to brakes, I need help on E46 330i front rotors, I need to replace mine but can't find any 330 ones in my area..is there any other model e.g X5 E53 maybe that uses same as ones on E46 330i front?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Alex, seems am still stuck haha Z4 is another rare car only seen one over here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

41 - 48 of 48 Posts