stereo amp (the audiovox system). Myself and others hunted forever on the
internet until we managed to find someone at BMW who would give it to us
Snip...
It was spanned out onto multiple pages from BMW so I
went ahead and combined it into one image. I also labeled a lot of things
(speakers, colors, etc). I am about 99.9% sure these are correct. I
couldn't find anything that had exactly what wire was what on it other
than the retarded labels that were on the diagram. I managed to figure it
out based on color codes for other BMW stereos.

Ben

·
modder fokker
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some other usefull posting
Polystyrene Polypropylene Capacitors
From: http://www.civil.ubc.ca/home/bohnen/adventures1.html

by Aaron Bohnen, email: [email protected]

BMW factory audio systems generally are OK, but not by any stretch great. If you don't want to
completely replace speakers or your head unit, you can still upgrade the sound quality of your
existing system quite easily. The key to this upgrade is in the capacitors that are often used as first
order crossovers for the tweeters. These are generally inexpensive bipolar electrolytic caps, which
sound very poor. This is not a BMW-specific problem - most speakers you see or buy for your
home or car audio system have these crummy electrolytic caps in them. For smoother, less grungy
and generally much more listenable high frequencies, replace these electrolytic caps with
same-value, same-or-higher voltage rated polypropylene, metallized polypropylene or
polystyrene caps. There is generally one cap used in series with each tweeter as a simple
six dB/octave filter. These caps are often found soldered across the terminals of the woofer to which
the tweeter is mated. It seems some people think that those are fuses. They're not - they're capacitors
and good ones will make a big difference to the quality of the music in your car. You'll be pleasantly
surprised how much better the highs of your existing system can be - and at $2 to $5 each you're likely
to be very happy with the value-for-money aspect of this upgrade. Lee's Electronics on Main Street in
Vancouver has a good selection of the Solen polypropylene caps that are very suitable for this application.
Speaker City in Vancouver is also a very good supplier of speaker crossover components.
I'd recommend taking the existing unit with you when you go to buy replacements, and insist on
polypropylene, metallized polypropylene or polystyrene capacitors. So-called generic "film"
capacitors such as those of mylar composition need not apply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts