BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the OEM alarm worth it to those that have it? I kinda want one installed for xmas but not sure to go with bmw's or another manufacturer. For the price, is it worth it and for the quality, is it worth it?

Thanks,
cecil :thumbup:

·
P.I.M.P.
2,480 Posts
Yes, it is worht it. ESPECiALLY, if you upgrade it with a DEI shock sensor (easy 20$ diy). Your car will be very well protected from an alarm standpoint(motion sensor/shock sensor), and you will be able to use the factory key.

·
unregistered user
826 Posts
I agree! :thumbup: I installed mine myself and the dealer activated it for free. Can't beat that. I also installed the DEI shick sensor. Very easy!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
do you all on the board see remote car starting as an issue or bad for the engine in any way? I always thought it was cool, what are your thoughts?

·
P.I.M.P.
2,480 Posts
remote start doesnt harm your engine in any way, but you will be more prone to getting "hotwired" from what i hear.

·
Registered
909 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
How much is the Shock sensor from the dealer? And do I need the dealer to activate the shock sensor separately or can I just install it on my existing OEM alarm and have it work?
Dealer doesn't sell it. Once you install your Alarm, get it activated by the dealership and then install the shock sensor. The sensor is "DEI 504M", . Cost $15-$20. Do a search on www.google.com to find a cheaper price or ck here http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_PR13495777.htm

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
from my experience, if i could go back, i personally would get an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer (Peter Pan BMW) quoted me something like $730 for an alarm (2004 330i)...isn't that a bit much? Can anyone give me a price quote they've gotten from their dealer?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Scrith said:
My dealer (Peter Pan BMW) quoted me something like $730 for an alarm (2004 330i)...isn't that a bit much? Can anyone give me a price quote they've gotten from their dealer?
I take delivery of my 04 330i tomorrow or Saturday and my dealer tried to charge me $800 for the OEM alarm. I bought one off Ebay last week for $170 shipped:) Installation looks simple from the online DIY.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts