BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330Ci. Oxford Green over Beige. 5-spd
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Quick question..

Bought OBD Fusion and Am creating custom Gauges for my dashboard in Fusion. I want to have a gauge for Engine oil temp.. I have one made but was wondering what I should have my ranges set to?

Attached is a photo of what I've put together and the ranges I'm using rn.. What is optimal oil operating temps for a 330ci anyways? I've searched but most of it is on M3s.. I want to use engine oil temp as a reference as to when to actually get on it instead of the coolant temp gauge.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, if anyone can chime in.. Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow ok, thanks for the info Bali, im going to end up getting 1.4 to code a few things to the car for convenience opening and closing windows etc, would it be wise to try and code the coolant temp gauge on dash to read oil temp instead?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,338 Posts
would it be wise to try and code the coolant temp gauge on dash to read oil temp instead?
Not possible. Unless you are reverse-engineering the IKE firmware somehow. How’s your Motorola microcontroller disassembly skills?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I will delete my Nicely built gauge from my dashboard in Fusion :( lol

Thanks for the info brother!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
... but to answer your original question, oil should be in the same range as water.
It tends to run a few degrees warmer. If coolant's at 92, it would not be unusual to see
oil in the 100 degree range. When the engine's working hard, oil will climb higher
(towards 120) before the radiator runs out of capacity and water then starts to rise.

fwiw,
t
uses mechanical gauges. It takes a surprisingly long time for oil to warm up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... but to answer your original question, oil should be in the same range as water.
It tends to run a few degrees warmer. If coolant's at 92, it would not be unusual to see
oil in the 100 degree range. When the engine's working hard, oil will climb higher
(towards 120) before the radiator runs out of capacity and water then starts to rise.

fwiw,
t
Thank you for the Reply! At least I know now my ranges were decent lol

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts

fwiw,
t
Indeed. One can also look at what triggers the DME to open the thermostat to get an idea of what the upper limits of oil temperature are: so when oil temps go above 125C, the DME opens the thermostat until oil temp falls to 119C. So 119C/125C seem to be the upper limit of what the DME is comfortable with, but these are probably "spirited driving" temp numbers I would suspect.

Regardless of anything else, the DME will activate the thermostat if:
Ambient temperature > 38.3ºC, in which case the DME will set a target coolant temperature of 79.5ºC
Intake air temp > 62.3ºC, in which case the DME will target 82.5ºC
Coolant outlet temperature > 105ºC, in which case the DME will target 84.8ºC
Oil temperature > 125ºC, and it seems to stay open until the oil temperature falls to 119ºC

Transmission can also command the DME to bring the temperature down to 80.3ºC

So those are all things to look at

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
My E93 with the N52 engine runs the oil temp at 180 ~ 200-ish. It goes higher if the ambient temperature is high. It's been to 250-ish.
That's in Farenheight, correct?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,947 Posts

fwiw,
t
Yes indeed, the oil can take 2 to 3 times longer to warm to full temperature. Furthermore owing to it's viscosity (thickness compared to that of coolant/water) it also retains heat much longer as well. During track events my go to guide before I could pound the car was not that the coolant temperature was warm, rather is the oil temperature was near the warm range. Same goes for any race car. From club racing up to F1.

FWIW someone posted about oil temp at/around the 250°F range. No Bueno

Motor oil, despite the stabilizers starts to do some very weird s#!t at about that temperature and above. Depending on who's oil and type at/near 275°F it starts to come apart at the molecular level and engine protection goes out the window. Mostly in terms of shear strength.
The ideal oil cooler, oil thermostat and operational range for any track car is 100-105°C.

Newer track prepared cars use a dual cooler loop.
A water to oil cooler, in series with a thermostatically controlled oil to air cooler later in the loop.

The water to air is an aid to get the oil warmed up faster and stabilize it. If when driving hard, one exceeds the capability (that is proper design BTW) and then the thermostat opens and now the oil passes through a properly sized oil to air cooler.

The goal is to get the oil into the 100-105° C range for proper oil function and at that temp its hot enough to boil off any water moisture.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
FWIW someone posted about oil temp at/around the 250°F range. No Bueno
He was referring to an e93 with an N52 engine, if that makes a difference (since newer cars run the coolant/engine hotter). Not saying 250F is a good oil temp, but wouldn't you expect the hotter engines to have higher oil temps than the m54 in general (all else equal)?

As for the m54 dme reacting to oil temps:
  • 246F is about 119C
  • 257F is about 125C (m54 dme opens thermostat until oil cools to 119c)
So these temp numbers make more sense (at least as a failsafe last resort) given that oil starts to break down above 275F.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,947 Posts
given that oil starts to break down above 275F.

New out of the bottle oil, that is. The older/dirtier any oil is the thresholds of many of the marker parameters drop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts