E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has installed the alarm themselfs and if they can give me some tips. I am installing the original OEM alarm on my 330ci 2002 model and wanted to know if i should just get it done by the dealer or if its a quick plug-in and your done type of installation in order to be a cheap ass and not pay the dealer for the installation.

Please reply to this or email me at

[email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
piece of cake with DIY...don't be afraid, you really can't hurt anything if you don't start ripping stuff out or apply 200 ft/lbs of TQ.... :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Because the original alarms are computer-controlled and the computer activation stuff - well, that's only at the dealer's. There is a whole discussion going on right now about the manufacturers not releasing that sort of stuff to third-party shops and hobbyists.
The automotive idustry claims it is to help with the theft problem - as in 'If we release this information, thieves will have an easier time stealing the cars we make'. Opponents say 'Wrong, you lying scum! You're just trying to horde the profits by making people go to the dealers!'.

So, for now, you're stuck with having to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Anyone here notice their alarm doesn't always beep in cold weather?

It still arms and locks just no beep. Then I unlock and disarm, it beeps, then I lock and arm again and it finally beeps.

???

·
Registered
593 Posts
15 minutes!?
impossible!
It took me like an hour

it is not too easy to remove the filter bits under the hood.
but is definitely a DIY
dont waste money

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Micro64 said:
15 minutes!?
impossible!
It took me like an hour

it is not too easy to remove the filter bits under the hood.
but is definitely a DIY
dont waste money
Well maybe a half hour... I wasnt hard at all.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
noflash said:
Anyone here notice their alarm doesn't always beep in cold weather?

It still arms and locks just no beep. Then I unlock and disarm, it beeps, then I lock and arm again and it finally beeps.

???

Yeh mine only beeps sometimes, even in warm weather.

I havent been able to figure it out yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What type of sensors does the stock alarm come with , by this i mean like does it come with impact sensor, outside motion sensor ???.... etc

Thanks

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
if you have a coupe, it comes iwth a shock and motion sensor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ok cool, yes i do have the coupe, but they only have one alarm for the car so i hope mine has the shock sensor. Sorry to sound stupid but is the sock sensor like an impact sensor on the outside of the car, so if someone hits it the alarm with go off right??

Thanks

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
the shock sensor is the sensor that detects impacts on the car, sao yes it is a impact sensor. the tilt sensor measures ur car's tilt. to prevent some one lifting the car on one end etc. towing the car or stealing ur wheels will tilt the car thus setting the alarm off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts