BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E46F,

I recently bought an 2002 330Ci. I've done small maintenance, but was told that suspension will need to be replaced soon. I am on the lookout for a nice comfortable suspension setup.

1. Ride Quality. I really want to be comfortable. This is my biggest priority.

2. Not interested in lowering/stance look.

3. Will never track the car.

I really wanted to buy the stock suspension from ECS tuning with stage 2 refresh kit, but a friend that owns multiple Bimmers said go with coilovers.

I have a budget of 2k but I want to invest in something that be worth while. This is only a daily driver.

I have looked into PSS10s, KW2s, Fortune Auto 500s, KSports, and ST XTAs.

I never owned a coilover suspension. I always went with a strut/spring combo on my other cars. However, this is my first BMW and I hear a lot of nice things about coilovers.

The question is have you all had more success with coilover set ups on DDs or Strut/Spring combo?

Thanks!
Raouf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Hello E46F,

I recently bought an 2002 330Ci. I've done small maintenance, but was told that suspension will need to be replaced soon. I am on the lookout for a nice comfortable suspension setup.

1. Ride Quality. I really want to be comfortable. This is my biggest priority.

2. Not interested in lowering/stance look.

3. Will never track the car.

I really wanted to buy the stock suspension from ECS tuning with stage 2 refresh kit, but a friend that owns multiple Bimmers said go with coilovers.

I have a budget of 2k but I want to invest in something that be worth while. This is only a daily driver.

I have looked into PSS10s, KW2s, Fortune Auto 500s, KSports, and ST XTAs.

I never owned a coilover suspension. I always went with a strut/spring combo on my other cars. However, this is my first BMW and I hear a lot of nice things about coilovers.

The question is have you all had more success with coilover set ups on DDs or Strut/Spring combo?

Thanks!
Raouf

Based on what you've stated: "Ride Quality. I really want to be comfortable. This is my biggest priority", DON'T Buy Coilovers.

Keep your current springs if you don't want to lower it & add a set of Koni FSD dampers. Then with your extra money, buy Meyle HD control arms & BMW Z4 FCAB's. Replace any other needed bushings & buy the ECS Tuning sway bar kit or just their front bar & install poly bushings on your current rear bar.

This will provide the very good ride quality that you desire while still giving you slightly better handling. When winter is over buy some decent summer tires, preferably in a square setup.

Rob43

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
^^^^^ Exactly. +1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on what you've stated: "Ride Quality. I really want to be comfortable. This is my biggest priority", DON'T Buy Coilovers.

Keep your current springs if you don't want to lower it & add a set of Koni FSD dampers. Then with your extra money, buy Meyle HD control arms & BMW Z4 FCAB's. Replace any other needed bushings & buy the ECS Tuning sway bar kit or just their front bar & install poly bushings on your current rear bar.

This will provide the very good ride quality that you desire while still giving you slightly better handling. When winter is over buy some decent summer tires, preferably in a square setup.

Rob43

Thanks Rob43!

·
Registered
258 Posts
As said above, there's really no need to consider coilovers if you're not wanting stiffer springs or adjustable ride height. I'd verify exactly what your mechanic means by "suspension will need to be replaced soon," as he could mean just the dampers, but probably means dampers and bushings. Maybe even control arms and other related parts depending on age/damage, etc. If the springs are rusted or on the verge of cracking/breaking in the rear (unfortunately common with OE springs on the E46), then you could still source some factory take-offs from someone fairly easily.

Decide exactly what you want from the car, and go from there. There's a wealth of knowledge and people here who are more than happy to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As said above, there's really no need to consider coilovers if you're not wanting stiffer springs or adjustable ride height. I'd verify exactly what your mechanic means by "suspension will need to be replaced soon," as he could mean just the dampers, but probably means dampers and bushings. Maybe even control arms and other related parts depending on age/damage, etc. If the springs are rusted or on the verge of cracking/breaking in the rear (unfortunately common with OE springs on the E46), then you could still source some factory take-offs from someone fairly easily.

Decide exactly what you want from the car, and go from there. There's a wealth of knowledge and people here who are more than happy to help.

Thanks Jonathan @ BimmerWorld!

I have looking on ECS Tuning site. I think I will go for the Refresh Front and rear Level 2 kits. Then will do what Rob43 said. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not all coil overs are as bumpy as they say, really depends on your road, if you want the adjustability then coil overs are the way to go, otherwise a good strut spring combo is the way to go.
The decision maker for me was ride height so I went with coils

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not all coil overs are as bumpy as they say, really depends on your road, if you want the adjustability then coil overs are the way to go, otherwise a good strut spring combo is the way to go.
The decision maker for me was ride height so I went with coils

I have 19" Hamann hm2s on the car now. The wheels look flush and give the car a "lowered" look. I plan on getting 18" style 67s. That's the only reason why I might consider coilovers. But I am happy with these wheels.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I have 19" Hamann hm2s on the car now. The wheels look flush and give the car a "lowered" look. I plan on getting 18" style 67s. That's the only reason why I might consider coilovers. But I am happy with these wheels.
To add to what I've already recommended, when you buy your style 67 wheels I'd buy a square setup of fronts (18 X 8") Only & run 225/40-18's all around. When buying tires, I'd only buy tires that weigh in at 21 LBS to offset the heavier style 67 wheels. This way you'll be "roughly" the same overall weight as stock, you & your Bimmer will like this combo the best & it will provide the ride quality that you desire.

Rob43

1 - 9 of 9 Posts