E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my bmw wont start. ok i replaced the fuel pump and relays. it works and i get it running again. month later it doesnt crank at all just the starter cranking. i replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it almost fires up right now but a random mark appears next to the P on the instrument panel. it looks like an exclamation mark but idk whats going on i turn the car off and put it back and the symbol goes away but as soon as i crank it it does the same thing and the symbol pops up. whats going on here??? help me v.v

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
well my bmw wont start. ok i replaced the fuel pump and relays. it works and i get it running again. month later it doesnt crank at all just the starter cranking. i replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it almost fires up right now but a random mark appears next to the P on the instrument panel. it looks like an exclamation mark but idk whats going on i turn the car off and put it back and the symbol goes away but as soon as i crank it it does the same thing and the symbol pops up. whats going on here??? help me v.v
Picture of the symbol is worth a 1000 words!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Cog of death. You need to scan for engine and transmission codes.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This happened to my car, to fix I disconnected the MAF sensor, started, connected it again, restarted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cog of death. You need to scan for engine and transmission codes.
wat u mean cog of death?

btw ive had this symbol before but it would stay on no matter what position the key was in and car wouldnt start it was the fuse for the instrument cluster aand walah fixed back on the road.

this time its different the symbol show up when i try starting the car and goes away when i take out the key

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
It's called the transmission warning light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's called the transmission warning light.
yeah i know but its not my tranny ive had it rebuilt 9,000 miles ago. im at 137,000 on my odometer now. the symbol is for tranny but when it popped up on me before it was just the computer. umm btw should the car atleast just start?? maybe not be able to drive but atleast start if the tranny is malfunctioning :0??

·
Banned
7,363 Posts
yeah i know but its not my tranny ive had it rebuilt 9,000 miles ago. im at 137,000 on my odometer now. the symbol is for tranny but when it popped up on me before it was just the computer. umm btw should the car atleast just start?? maybe not be able to drive but atleast start if the tranny is malfunctioning :0??
Most people in the transmission repair industry will use the cheapest suppliers for parts. Thats business.

You can bet your ass if you've had an automatic tranny rebuilt it not unlikely for it to go bad within a short time again.

My advice to you:
- Get BMW Scanner 1.4 for $32. Scan your codes and post them up here. If you truly are a fanatic, you will own this tool no matter what.
- Learn to type coherent sentences. It will be beneficial for you, and people may take you more seriously.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
the symbol is for tranny but when it popped up on me before it was just the computer
Seems like there is more to the story. Are you talking about the transmission module?
Either way, the first step is to run a scan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
umm ill buy the tool first thing tmmrw :)

guys one thing before the crankshaft position sensor being replaced the car would just crank now it cranks and the symbol shows up and it makes a popping noise comming out of the intake boot. i sprayed starter fluid right now and it popped loud enough and blew out my boot of the car i put it back on wh=ith no damage and still same thing?? it just pops after cranking it for a couple seconds noise comes from the intake

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is a good tool, but you will not have it for weeks.

Suggest you buy/borrow a generic OBDII scan tool as well. Ah, just noticed you are in California, good luck with borrowing a tool from the parts store, PepBoys or Midas likely will read the codes if you bring the car to them. Otherwise see if a friend or family member has an OBDII tool. You live in CA, you MUST have a generic OBDII tool because of SMOG requirements and the fact that standard parts stores WILL NOT loan tools or read codes.

Read this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

I would try to borrow a tool for now because you will spend TOO much at a local auto parts store or Sears and likely not be happy with what you get in the long run.

Generic OBDII tools can read transmission faults as well as engine faults. They can also read manufacturer specific codes as long as the manufacturer follows the OBDII standard for their specific codes. There are likely other codes that a generic OBDII tool will not read, but these are usually more minor or more specific and these codes usually do not trigger any of the warning lights.

So it is highly likely that with a generic OBDII tool you will be able to get a very good idea about what is going on with your car for now. Just be careful and post the specific codes back for review and comment. Nubes tend to knee jerk and do the wrong thing with codes and DO NOT listen to anyone at the auto parts store when it comes to codes, they are behind the counter for a reason.

OBD Transmission DTC codes will be in the PX7XX or PX8XX format. Most likely will look like P0720-OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR ERROR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guys umm i realized my.crankshafter senspr wasnt bolted in all the way so i screwed it.in tight and now that symbol on the dashboard doesnt show.up.next to park yet still does.t start and it actually stopped making the popping noise from the intake but does.t.start…
im feeling like it over for my bmw and that shes dead already. She.just wont start up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Escuse me.for the way im.talking im using my crappy little phone. Ill.go on my laptop once im home

1 - 20 of 34 Posts