BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe with manual transmission out-drag a 2004 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe with manual transmission?

·
Registered
548 Posts
325 for sure....

My friend has the 320 coupe and it's a close match. The benz sports coupe looks like a pos imo.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just watch out for C230 Coupe's with upgraded superchargers. It's a cheap upgrade and get the power up considerably (you only have to worry for 02's really though, the 03 uses a 1.8 that's pretty tapped to begin with)

Adam

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,496 Posts
kyoko said:
325 for sure....

My friend has the 320 coupe and it's a close match. The benz sports coupe looks like a pos imo.
I almost bought a Benz -- I saw the ad for the C230 coupe (I like coupes) for $25K and the new-car-bug hit me... I checked it out -- then checked the C320 coupe... and then I came to my senses and got the BMW ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Smoltz said:
Just watch out for C230 Coupe's with upgraded superchargers. It's a cheap upgrade and get the power up considerably (you only have to worry for 02's really though, the 03 uses a 1.8 that's pretty tapped to begin with)

Adam
yeah, I can't believe mercedes "downgraded" the engine for the 230k this year. It should be called the C180K:thumbdwn: . You could easily bring the c230's power to 230-240hp for less than 1k i think.

·
Registered
648 Posts
babbit said:

yeah, I can't believe mercedes "downgraded" the engine for the 230k this year. It should be called the C180K:thumbdwn: . You could easily bring the c230's power to 230-240hp for less than 1k i think.

I've driven both, the new motor is quieter, more refined, very smooth. But it is disappointing that it was at the expense of torque and upgradability.

Adam

·
Registered
548 Posts
I read that the new engine was better on the 230, in terms of mid range power and acceleration. I'll have to find that article and cite it. or I could be wrong...

I'm not to familiar with the c sports coupe. All I know is that if I had to get a c class car it would've been the sedan version. I don't like the back end of that car at all...

·
Registered
855 Posts
SiLvaC32 said:
hmm...... the C230 HAS a 6 speed manual tranny... don't assume all MB has auto!
Thats cause its their bottom rung model, correct? Manuals are considered a "cheaper" option you know. I doubt mercedes put it on there for a performance difference...if that were the case the AMG cars would have a stick option. Personally I think those C couples look :ghey: they look like something toyota and ford got together on to make something new for the "hip" crowd.

·
ILCUTAWOOTIE
3,669 Posts
Kain said:
Could a 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe with manual transmission out-drag a 2004 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe with manual transmission?
benz dont have manual trannys dogg
u got this...

·
Registered
648 Posts
kyoko said:
I read that the new engine was better on the 230, in terms of mid range power and acceleration. I'll have to find that article and cite it. or I could be wrong...

I'm not to familiar with the c sports coupe. All I know is that if I had to get a c class car it would've been the sedan version. I don't like the back end of that car at all...

The new engine is better for a daily driver. But it has like 10lb/ft less torque and the peak torque is produced over a narrower range. The new 1.8 only achieves similar power though a much larger supercharger. The change was mainly for cost cutting and emissions requirements, but also because people had complained of the rough running, loud motor in the C230K and SLK230. The old C Class used the 2.3, the SLK still uses the 2.3, the C230K Sedan Uses the 1.8, and the C230K Sport Coupe (hatch) uses the 2.3 for '02 and before and the 1.8 for '03 and newer.

The C class is a great car for 23k I would say, hell maybe even 24k. If they could get the price down to compete with the GTI, they might have some buyers. But at the current sticker price, it's hard to swallow, especially given the questionable styling. MB knew what they were getting into though given the failure of the 318ti.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
You shouldn't have trouble beating the C230 with a 325Ci.

I know this because I've raced my friend's C320 sport coupe (auto) on numerous occasions and he barely pulls on me below 62 mph (my 1st and 2nd gears) from a rolling start (I still haven't gotten a chance to race him in a situation where I could get a good launch), and once I get into 3rd my gearing starts to become an advantage. It's so close that I think with just a handful of mods (CAI, software, perhaps an exhaust) I could put some distance on him in the right gear at any speed, and not just at highway speeds.

I've beaten him several times from a 70 mph to 125 mph roll. I'm willing to bet that the two cars would post nearly identical times in the 1/4, with perhaps a slight edge going to the manual 325. These races took place with my engine and drivetrain totally stock.

The C320 is still faster than the C230, but also quite a bit heavier, which offsets a good deal of the extra power.

I do know, however, that the Benz auto is very good and their manuals are not, in comparison. There isn't much of a performance advantage (if any) with the manual over the auto in the Benzes. However, both auto and manual C320 and C230 will beat the 325 auto. I don't think the C240 will, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts