BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 323i bmw with the stock engine it comes with ( 153k miles on it) and I def want to make my car way more powerful and faster. I had the idea to put a m3 engine in it but i seen on lots of forums there’s other engines that I can throw in that would be 10x better and easier. I also have a transmission problem , like a dumbass I turned my car off while I had it on reverse and my foot was on the breaks. When I tried to turn my car on a gear with ! Came up and I’m assuming I fucked my transmission up. I sometimes feel the gears slip and there’s a little jerk in the car when I accelerate. Is this a fixable thing or do I need a new transmission and if I do I want to know if there’s a better transmission I can throw into my car. It’s a automatic 5 speed , please let me know!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you’ll find better value in purchasing a more well equipped car. Swapping the engine and transmission is a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you’ll find better value in purchasing a more well equipped car. Swapping the engine and transmission is a lot of work.

That’s the thing tho, I’m fully willing to put the work in. I just need advice to be honest, I know I can fully get something better but I want to build this car specifically. (Call me crazy) i def want to make this car a beast

·
Registered
129 Posts
That’s the thing tho, I’m fully willing to put the work in. I just need advice to be honest, I know I can fully get something better but I want to build this car specifically. (Call me crazy) i def want to make this car a beast
Respectable.

From my understanding it is hard to get power out of the M54 or S54 without spending the kind of money that could get you crazy numbers on other platforms.

I’ve seen a few JZ swaps that looked rather nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Respectable.

From my understanding it is hard to get power out of the M54 or S54 without spending the kind of money that could get you crazy numbers on other platforms.

I was talking about the 2jz engine with my friend for like a month. It’s more affordable , I want to make my car able to beat a m3 easy if I can. And good to know about that S54, was thinking of looking for one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Respectable.

My issue putting that in is my transmission I think I fucked it up but idk if I really fucked it up enough I need a whole new one. I just know I need a better transmission for the swap too

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
512 Posts
The S54 in the M3 produces 338 HP. So you are going to want 350+ HP. You need a bigger engine then turbo or supercharge it. A M52TUB28 is the easiest bigger engine as it has an accelerator cable just like your 323. If you fit the M54B30, you need to convert to the Fly By Wire Accelerator. Fitting a M62 V8 will give you a lot of electronic integration headaches to sort out.

Your 323 transmission will not handle the HP you want, so dump it and do a manual conversion.

By the way, you'll likely pull the rear chassis apart on your 2000 323 with all that HP, so look into fitting the chassis crack repair plates while you have it all apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts