1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model - BMW 320D
Year - 2003
Engine – M47 TU

The problem started with a turbo failure... big bang, white smoke, drained all the oil from the sump and spat it out in places it shouldn’t have.

- Replaced turbo with a reconditioned garret turbo.
- Fitted a new breather filter and a new air filter.
- Fitted a new primary CAT.

The problem now is that there is no power or torque at low revs, when I set off in 1st gear and 2nd gear it’s completely flat... I have changed the following parts without success to try and resolve the issue...

- Fitted a new MAF sensor and a new fuel pressure sensor.
- Cleaned the inlet manifold, changed the gaskets and some valves on the inlet manifold.
- Tested EGR valve, seems to be working, though i may change it.

HELP!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Saw your thread in General Forum and followed it here:

I also got a 2003 320d with 121000km on. Whats the mileage on yours? I have a problem that the EGR valve doesnt function right on cold mornings. The it smokes like MAD. What I do is stop, turn off the car and start it again. Repeat once or twice and then the valve functions normally. Is this a prelude to things to come?

What other problems did you experience?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car has done 48000 miles i think that translates to about 80000 km. My problems have stemmed from a faulty turbo... an inherent problem with this engine model. When my turbo went bang, i replaced it and replaced a number of other parts as a consequence of the failure. I have not experienced the car issues your're experiencing... My problem now is that the engine does not have any power at low revs, and i can't figure out why.

Your problem could be with the MAF sensor, which controls the EGR valve to a degree. Do you have any loss of power through the rev range? What does the car sound like when it's idling? I think that you may have a faulty EGR valve.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The idle sounds normal (for a diesel), but I had a rattle in my rear exhaust box. BMW told me its a cracked CAT box (BULLLSHT) and then wanted to charge me ZAR9500 (US$950) to replace. I had an extra bracket welded onto the rear box to support it better, and the rattle is gone... What I do realize now (and it may just be in my head),but the idle and accelleration sounds is a bit harsher (more diesel like). Dunno.
It's also got the startup rattles and coughing while cold(which is ''normal'': I have 2 friends with similar 320diesels)

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELPPP!!!BMW 320 D no Power Aswell after Turbo Change and Diesel Pump

HELPPP!!
Good day

Did you manage to get any solution towards the low rpm (No Power) issue
I can littraly put my foot flat down and there will be weak power
As soon as i get to 2000rpm the car goes
HELPPP!!HELPPP!!HELPPP!!HELPPP!!PLEASEEE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts