E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW 318 problems! Loss of power/won't rev

17K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  E100 
#1 · (Edited)
Have owned my bmw 318ci 1.9 1999 for over a year now and it's not been a too bad car until now. The other day after re fueling my car started to splutter and struggle to pull away. It also wouldn't rev past 4k.
Soon after engine management came on and it went into limp mode.
Thought maybe dodgy petrol or something similar so have flushed all the fuel out, put in red ex engine cleaner etc and run it around for a while with no joys. Then changed the petrol filter and still no luck.
Have also cleaned the maf, throttle body, idle control with cleaner and still no good. Engine management has since gone off but its still limited and spluttering and chugs on idle.
Had it plugged in and there are 2 errors:
Throttle position sensor signal
Hot film mass air sensor
Any idea what this means and what the problem may be?
I've done some looking but can't find anything :(
I'm not the most mechanical person either.
Any help would be great!!

#2 ·
I've seen it advised to clean and not to clean the MAF. I would try to find one a Scrap yard to try (if you can find a friendly one) if it sorts it. Buy it.

Seems there are lots of dodgy eBay cheap copy MAF's out there.

Try disconnecting the MAF completely for a while, common advice.

My car is an older cable type throttle, but you may also want to try a new entire pedal assembly.

#13 ·
Really need some help now, my bm has not sensor attached to the accelerator as its the old style one so the only throttle sensor i know of is the small black one attatched to the body.
So what is the throttle potentiometer that i am having issues with and where is it?
Cars still in limp mode

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.