BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone~!

I really want to get the OEM/Factory base roof rack system, but I'd rather get an after market (Thule/Yakima) snowboard rack simply because they look nicer. I'm just looking for some help to see if the after market snowboard rack will fit on the OEM roof rack system.

So basically I want
this: http://bmw.dealerfit.com/store/bmw-3-series-e46-roof-rack-prod1389_34260.php
PLUS
this:http://www.amazon.com/Thule-91726-Universal-Snowboard-Carrier/dp/B001PQVW82

This is the reply I received from the Thule Support:
"The factory bars should not be wider than 3 1/2 inches or thicker than 1 1/2 inch.The best fit allow 24 in. between the front and back bars."

If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it~!

Thanks~!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The link to the OEM base rack system is the wrong one as it says models 2007+.

This is the part # 82710142220 (for e46 sedans/coupes).

Try Patrick from BMW Parts Source (an actual BMW dealer) quoted me about 146 for it. I ordered from him but haven't got it yet.

Or www.bmwmercedesparts.com has it for 139, not sure what shipping is.

See this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797585 for info on those sellers.

Also, the thule rack is a good one but you can get the 91725 which doesn't have the pull out feature for 135 and free shipping from several online places.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I recently also just purchased the OEM roof rack on my e46 and went with Thule snowboard accesory mount. I can tell you right now if you go OEM on the base roof rack you will have to get longer tamper proof bolts for the Thule rack to fit properly. The OEM base rack has bigger sized crossbars than the Thule base system which is what the Thule snowboard setup is for. Its not a big deal I was able to round some up at a local Fastenal distributor for another 20 bux. Hope this helps you out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The link to the OEM base rack system is the wrong one as it says models 2007+.

This is the part # 82710142220 (for e46 sedans/coupes).
oh yeah... thanks.. i just had the wrong year... but i was looking at bmw.dealerfit.com too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently also just purchased the OEM roof rack on my e46 and went with Thule snowboard accesory mount. I can tell you right now if you go OEM on the base roof rack you will have to get longer tamper proof bolts for the Thule rack to fit properly. The OEM base rack has bigger sized crossbars than the Thule base system which is what the Thule snowboard setup is for. Its not a big deal I was able to round some up at a local Fastenal distributor for another 20 bux. Hope this helps you out.:thumbup:
thanks~! i just really like how the oem looks... as long as i can get a thule snowboard rack im cool with it~! :woot:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the base roof rack and thule 881 kayak support system. You do need to by the longer bolts for the thule system. I think you can buy them from rei.com or somewhere, $10+shipping for my set of bolts.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
For the Thule rack you need the Xadapt7 long bolt kit to fit around the thick OEM rack bars. Alternatively, you can actually skip using the clamp mounts altogether and mount it flush to the bars which looks the best but may cause clearance problems with snowboard bindings when facing down to roof of car. To do this you need to use some washers it something to slide it into the OEM bar slot tracks. Several people have done that. A rack store can do it also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the Thule rack you need the Xadapt7 long bolt kit to fit around the thick OEM rack bars. Alternatively, you can actually skip using the clamp mounts altogether and mount it flush to the bars which looks the best but may cause clearance problems with snowboard bindings when facing down to roof of car. To do this you need to use some washers it something to slide it into the OEM bar slot tracks. Several people have done that. A rack store can do it also.
NICE~! THANKS ALOT~!
do any of you have the wind deflector thing? if so, which one? or do we even need it at all for the e46?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.. i think i will go with the Yakima FatCat 6 instead of the Thule rack... i realized i dont really have the need for the telescoping feature. what do you think? i'd greatly appreciate your opinions~!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.. i think i will go with the Yakima FatCat 6 instead of the Thule rack... i realized i dont really have the need for the telescoping feature. what do you think? i'd greatly appreciate your opinions~!
The Fat Cat 6 looks like a pretty sweet holder. It's pretty wide so can fit 4 really wide snowboards no problemo. It also has a built in lift feature to give extra clearance from the roof for big bindings which is a good feature (but maybe not needed on the e46 because the roof bars are already pretty high.

Fat Cat 6 is a bit pricey though. If you don't need the telescopic feature then Thule has the 91725 which can be as low as $109 (for the black version instead of silver).

Check out http://www.orsracksdirect.com for tons of racks and reviews and pics, etc.

I went on a budget so I ordered the Yakima Buttondown Aero for $75 from http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/2652P_p-yakima-buttondown-aero-car-top-rack-6-ski-4-snowboard-universal-mount-locks/?cdf=TopSeller (25% off $99 for first time buyers). I've read that this one I got is a bit on the smaller side so may not fit 4 snowboards if they are somewhat wide, but for the price I'll try it out and if I don't like it then I'll craigslist it and get somethig else.

Did you order the OEM bars yet?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Fat Cat 6 looks like a pretty sweet holder. It's pretty wide so can fit 4 really wide snowboards no problemo. It also has a built in lift feature to give extra clearance from the roof for big bindings which is a good feature (but maybe not needed on the e46 because the roof bars are already pretty high.

Fat Cat 6 is a bit pricey though. If you don't need the telescopic feature then Thule has the 91725 which can be as low as $109 (for the black version instead of silver).

Check out http://www.orsracksdirect.com for tons of racks and reviews and pics, etc.

I went on a budget so I ordered the Yakima Buttondown Aero for $75 from http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/2652P_p-yakima-buttondown-aero-car-top-rack-6-ski-4-snowboard-universal-mount-locks/?cdf=TopSeller (25% off $99 for first time buyers). I've read that this one I got is a bit on the smaller side so may not fit 4 snowboards if they are somewhat wide, but for the price I'll try it out and if I don't like it then I'll craigslist it and get somethig else.

Did you order the OEM bars yet?
Wow thanks so much for the feedback~! I am looking for a 4 snowboard holder, since i have a 2 door and want to maximize cabin space. I found the FatCat 6 www.rackattack.com for $188.10 no tax, free shipping. I really like the tilting feature (just in case:thanks:) and the low profile aerodynamic design. I will probably order the OEM base rack system tomorrow for $139.12 at www.bmwmercedesparts.com. :thumbup:

I will let you know once I order all the parts... and, of course, once I install them~!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I just ordered the OEM Base Rack System!
As to the Yakima snowboard rack.... I'm wondering if I need the Fairing for the wind noise, and do any of you use it? How is the wind noise with/without it? what would you recommend? and do you know what the right length is?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the fairing/wind deflector at first. Try without it and see if wind noise bother you then you can always add it later.

How much was shipping on your OEM rack?

The Fat Cat 6 may be my choice if my cheap one doesn't pan out or if I outgrow it.

Please post up pics and impressions when you get it installed!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the fairing/wind deflector at first. Try without it and see if wind noise bother you then you can always add it later.

The Fat Cat 6 may be my choice if my cheap one doesn't pan out or if I outgrow it.

Please post up pics and impressions when you get it installed!
Good idea... i skipped the wind deflector for now. Yeah, i went with the more expensive fatcat6 cuz its more aerodynamic and it has the tilting ability, for bigger bindings. The shipping doesn't show for some reason, but i cant imagine it being a lot. If remember their shipping pricing correctly, it shouldn't cost more than $25 but I'll be sure to post as soon as i find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, the total for the OEM rack was $159.12 minus $139.12 for the product meaning shipping was $20. not bad. I just receive the yakima snowboard rack today.... gonna wait for the roof rack to get here. I CANT WAIT~! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts