BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and found nothing on the difference between uuc and bmp ssk.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I second that motion. UUC is the way to go.

4,239 Posts
Bimmer150 said:
I've done a search and found nothing on the difference between uuc and bmp ssk.
The two are not related at all. UUC manufactures their own shifter, BMP's kit is manufactured by Autosolutions. The Autosolutions is an excellent kit, and I will honestly say it would be the best available except for the UUC taking that spot. Yes, I am biased, but I have numerous valid reasons for that statement.

Fundamental differences:

Height adjustment...
UUC adjusts the top section of the shifter. The lever relationships below the pivot (and the realtionship with the selector rod angle) do not change.
BMP/AS moves the pivot ball up and down, changing the height and the geometry simultaneously. This results in a much greater increase in shift effort for the same amount of height change.

Lower pivot design...
UUC uses UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polycetal, a self-lubricating material. We also offer cartridge bearings as an upgrade for smoother feel and slightly reduced shift effort.
BMP/AS uses a brass liner. As anybody who has experienced an old door hinge in need of lubrication can attest, the concept of a metal-on-metal pivot is not a good idea due to excessive wear and lubrication loss. This results in stiffer shifting and accelerated wear.

Overall linkage geometry...
Depending on application, some of the E46 BMP/AS kits require a bent selector rod. The UUC kits all have correct selector rod geometry in the first place, therefore no change in selector rod is required.

For more detail and comparisons, please see:

http://www.shortshifter.com/comparo.htm

- Rob Levinson
UUC Motorwerks

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
Re: Re: BMP vs. UUC

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks said:

...Yes, I am biased, but I have numerous valid reasons for that statement.....

- Rob Levinson
UUC Motorwerks
I'll be the first to stand up as another one of those reasons. The change after getting the UUS SSK installed were night and day. Smooth crisp shifting wiht some increased effect but I have a Magnum shift knob on the way that should relieve some of the effort.

The difference and change was well worth it plus I helped out a forum sponsor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts