BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ughhhhhhhh................

Finally received my bluetooth setup for my '04 330Ci, and installed it yesterday. While following the DIY (http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/), I noticed my ZHP already had the bluetooh antenna installed and connected, so I just had to install the jumper plug and pairing button. After the tedious task of pulling apart the liner in the trunk, I was able to disconnect Assist and hook up the Bluetooth ULF.

The first time I paired my phone (Motorola v710), it worked flawlessly and I was able to make my first hands-free call. I don't know if it was normal or not, but I used the voice commands to call the number, and after telling the system to dial, it took up to 3 minutes for the call to start. After I hung up, I tried to make another call, and after saying the number (and having the system repeat the number), I told the system to dial (which it again repeated like it was supposed to do). I waited over 6 minutes, and finally gave up since it never called. Now is where all hell breaks loose.......

After deleting the ULF from my phone, then re-pairing the phone, it constantly connects to the BMW ULF, then disconnects. The moment I press the steering wheel button to make a call, it disconnects. I again deleted the pairing and re-paired, and the same thing happened. When trying to make another call, the system said, "Sorry," and then I lost the audio for my radio. The NAV works perfectly still, but I cannot get to the radio or CD player at all. There is absolutely no sound at all coming from the HU, and pressing any buttons (MODE, SELECT, AM/FM, or anything else besides MENU) don't do a thing.

I then disconnected the Bluetooth ULF and reconnected the Assist module, but my problem still resides. I even tried to re-update the HU with the latest NAV software (v24......I know, this has nothing to do with the problem, but it was worth a shot), but it seems as though I killed my radio.

Anyone run into this problem at all? If I can't figure this out, then I'll have to take the car to the dealer to have them fix it. Hopefully they won't see that I "played around" with the modules and will chalk it up to a bad head unit instead of charging me an arm and a leg to fix my screw-up. If they do fix it, then I'm pretty nervous about trying to install the Bluetooth module again for fear of a deja-vu!!

Well, thanks for reading, and if anyone has any ideas, please don't hesitate to shoot them my way. This car is only 2 months old, and I'm lost without the radio.

Thanks,

-Puck

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not that its going to help you, but Bluetooth have been pulled off shelfs by few dealers because incompatibilities with some phones.
I was extremely interested in getting BT, but later on found out that it has problems with Motorola phones.
Called Circle last week asking about getting Bluetooth and they said that they stopped selling them for now.
I would return BT and go back to dealership so they would fix your radio through warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This it the KNOWN behavior of the V710 IF you have a ULF module other than the 552. Motorola did a very poor implementation of Bluetooth because of some idiots at Verizon who wanted the phone crippled. The V710 was tested only with the 552 module and after BMW made some improvements and bug fixes, all hell broke loose with the crippled V710. Your best options are to wait for the V710 firmware fix, switch another phone, or get the lame 552 module.

proveg said:
Not that its going to help you, but Bluetooth have been pulled off shelfs by few dealers because incompatibilities with some phones.
I was extremely interested in getting BT, but later on found out that it has problems with Motorola phones.
Called Circle last week asking about getting Bluetooth and they said that they stopped selling them for now.
I would return BT and go back to dealership so they would fix your radio through warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Thanks for the replies, folks. Just an update as of this morning....

I had to take my car into the dealer because I lost all HU interaction. The fact that the bluetooth connected/disconnected frequently was bothersome, but to lose EVERYTHING having to do with the radio was something I could not tolerate. It wasn't just the fact that I had absolutely no audio at all, but I could not even enter radio mode or CD mode. I was able to access navigation without issue (although the gal speaking directions was unable to be heard), but everything else was down for the count. I pressed and held every single button on the HU, but to no avail.

I don't know what could have caused the HU to go down in flames (at least all audio and radio/CD), but it was very strange to hear the last words coming out of the speakers, "Sorry" (from the bluetooth voice). After hearing those words, it was like the whole HU (aside from Navigation) just died.

I'm supposed to get a call from my SA today to let me know what happened and when I can get my car back (I didn't tell him I installed the bluetooth module - I removed the ULF and adapters before taking it in).

Unfortunately, I do have the most recent ULF (387), thinking it would be the best for the Verizon V710. Now I don't know if I hate Verizon or Motorola more!!!

Thanks for letting me vent and for your replies!!

-ShyPuck

·
Registered
626 Posts
shypuck said:
Thanks for the replies, folks. Just an update as of this morning....

I had to take my car into the dealer because I lost all HU interaction. The fact that the bluetooth connected/disconnected frequently was bothersome, but to lose EVERYTHING having to do with the radio was something I could not tolerate. It wasn't just the fact that I had absolutely no audio at all, but I could not even enter radio mode or CD mode. I was able to access navigation without issue (although the gal speaking directions was unable to be heard), but everything else was down for the count. I pressed and held every single button on the HU, but to no avail.

I don't know what could have caused the HU to go down in flames (at least all audio and radio/CD), but it was very strange to hear the last words coming out of the speakers, "Sorry" (from the bluetooth voice). After hearing those words, it was like the whole HU (aside from Navigation) just died.

I'm supposed to get a call from my SA today to let me know what happened and when I can get my car back (I didn't tell him I installed the bluetooth module - I removed the ULF and adapters before taking it in).

Unfortunately, I do have the most recent ULF (387), thinking it would be the best for the Verizon V710. Now I don't know if I hate Verizon or Motorola more!!!

Thanks for letting me vent and for your replies!!

-ShyPuck
Any words from your SA? I am very interested in knowing what is the next since I also self installed the lated ULF like you did but I have not tested it yet and haven't decide on which phone to get. Here is a link that might be useful

http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last Update

Well, I got my car back yesterday with a brand new HU. According to the SA (and the paperwork), the tech verified the lack of audio or response from the tuner and CD, and ran diagnostics which found all fuses and connections fine, but the HU was dead (in his terms).

So, without question, they installed a new HU and the car is back in my hands. Of course, last night when I got home, I installed the bluetooth ULF again and unfortunately, the damn V710 is connecting/disconnecting repeatedly, so it looks like my only course of action is to wait for the firmware/software update from Motorola/Verizon.

Thanks again for your responses, and I'll keep you updated as soon as the firmware/software update is released.

-ShyPuck

·
Registered
626 Posts
shypuck said:
Well, I got my car back yesterday with a brand new HU. According to the SA (and the paperwork), the tech verified the lack of audio or response from the tuner and CD, and ran diagnostics which found all fuses and connections fine, but the HU was dead (in his terms).

So, without question, they installed a new HU and the car is back in my hands. Of course, last night when I got home, I installed the bluetooth ULF again and unfortunately, the damn V710 is connecting/disconnecting repeatedly, so it looks like my only course of action is to wait for the firmware/software update from Motorola/Verizon.

Thanks again for your responses, and I'll keep you updated as soon as the firmware/software update is released.

-ShyPuck
I was tempted to switch over to Verizon but after this...no way. I rather with T-mobile..they have more choices for bluetooth phones...Sprint PCS is my currently provider has NO BLUETOOTH PHONES!...what a bunch of idiot

·
Registered
11 Posts
shypuck said:

-ShyPuck
I have the first bluetooth module (installed 6/03) and the v710, (just switched from a t610 which worked flawlessly), and have found the v710 works pretty good most of the time.

The phone almost always pairs up when I start the car, and if I don't (ie the system tells me no phone found), if I turn the phone off and then back on it seems to work itself out and work just fine. I end up resetting the phone like this probably every couple of weeks.

I'm still annoyed that I have to reset the phone this often, as the t610 was flawless...but driving around in the sticks with tmobile's coverage wasn't worth it any more.

note: I don't have nav but do have hk.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the v710 with nav and it works alright. I have to turn the phone off then on every couple of days when it doesn't pair up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
my new woe is my damn ULF decided to quit working all together. At least that is what I think. The button on the steering wheel and the pairing button no longer do anything. I can press it or hold it for a few seconds and nothing...the music keep playing and the bluetooth never switch over. What is even more frustrating is the seller does not think anything is wrong with the module. My only recourse might be to buy a new module...what a disappointment :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
snewcrash said:
I have the v710 with nav and it works alright. I have to turn the phone off then on every couple of days when it doesn't pair up.
Wish I had that problem. I even exchanged my brand new V710 for another brand new V710, and it, too, has the exact same issue (constant connect/disconnect). So, I decided to get another phone (Sony-Ericcson T608) and convert it over to Verizon (read many "how-to's on the subject, and it's all legal and cool). It arrives tomorrow afternoon, and I'll shut down my V710 until the software/firmware update ever happens. I heard the T608 works well with BMW's bluetooth, so I'm stoked.

I'll keep you informed of this transition, and if it works well, I'd suggest people having issues with Verizon and their V710's to go to Ebay and purchase a T608 ($100 to $200 for brand new phone).

-Shypuck

·
Registered
626 Posts
shypuck said:
Wish I had that problem. I even exchanged my brand new V710 for another brand new V710, and it, too, has the exact same issue (constant connect/disconnect). So, I decided to get another phone (Sony-Ericcson T608) and convert it over to Verizon (read many "how-to's on the subject, and it's all legal and cool). It arrives tomorrow afternoon, and I'll shut down my V710 until the software/firmware update ever happens. I heard the T608 works well with BMW's bluetooth, so I'm stoked.

I'll keep you informed of this transition, and if it works well, I'd suggest people having issues with Verizon and their V710's to go to Ebay and purchase a T608 ($100 to $200 for brand new phone).

-Shypuck
good luck! I am so close to have it working right. I thought I blew up the module but turned out only a fuse was blown. So I replaced the fuse and now the module is back and working...only if I can get the speaker to work. I thought it was the voice jumper and still think it is the voice jumper after playing around with everything else. I will call pacificBMW to see what they think when I am back from my trip next week.

Here is my deal, I can barely hear my phone in my car and the volume controls on my steering wheel are useless. Anyone care to suggest what to try next or what is wrong?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last Update

I decided to sell my V710 on Fleabay and quit Verizon all together. After reading what they do to their phones (purposely cripple them) and fully knowing they lack Customer Service, I decided to terminate my contract and switch over to AT&T (now merged with Cingular). Since I'm an Electronic Arts employee, I get half price on all phones and accessories, and 10% off any rate plan of my choice. Also, when I spoke to the manager at AT&T, he offered to cover my early termination fees ($350 for two phones on one plan) if I joined AT&T for one year. That's all I needed to hear!!!

I picked up the new Motorola RAZR ($250) and the Nokia 6620 ($200), and both work flawlessly in my '04 330Ci. I have only each phone for 3 days, but have not had one incident with either in the bimmer, and the reception has been outstanding (comparible to Verizon). Plus, instead of paying Verizon $70/month for 800 anytime minutes, I'm paying $55 for 1050 Anytime minutes with AT&T (Cingular), and the EA discount a life saver as well.

Hope you all have your bluetooth issues fixed as well!!!

-Shypuck

·
Registered
478 Posts
shypuck said:
I decided to sell my V710 on Fleabay and quit Verizon all together. After reading what they do to their phones (purposely cripple them) and fully knowing they lack Customer Service, I decided to terminate my contract and switch over to AT&T (now merged with Cingular). Since I'm an Electronic Arts employee, I get half price on all phones and accessories, and 10% off any rate plan of my choice. Also, when I spoke to the manager at AT&T, he offered to cover my early termination fees ($350 for two phones on one plan) if I joined AT&T for one year. That's all I needed to hear!!!

I picked up the new Motorola RAZR ($250) and the Nokia 6620 ($200), and both work flawlessly in my '04 330Ci. I have only each phone for 3 days, but have not had one incident with either in the bimmer, and the reception has been outstanding (comparible to Verizon). Plus, instead of paying Verizon $70/month for 800 anytime minutes, I'm paying $55 for 1050 Anytime minutes with AT&T (Cingular), and the EA discount a life saver as well.

Hope you all have your bluetooth issues fixed as well!!!

-Shypuck
Good to hear. Really looks like that V710 is turning out to be a dog because of Verizon. Too bad, it looks like an overall good phone but they didn't execute it properly.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Motorola/Verizon are releasing a new firmware update at the end of Nov. which should supposedly fix all the linking problems with our cars. It was supposed to be released early Nov. but got delayed. Hopefully, it'll fix the phones crippled bluetooth.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's a new firmware update available for the V710 at Verizon. I got my mine updated last week. Unfortunately, I haven't ordered the BT retrofit for my '02 330i from the TVonNAV folks until someone confirms whether or not the firmware fixes the problems cited on this thread?

If any of you have BT and firmware update, please post your results.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts