E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:cry:I could use some help. I have a 2005 325xit built in November, 2004. It came with Bluetooth, I have the code and never had a problem pairing it with my phone or Blackberry.

Yesterday I got a new Blackberry Curve 8310 and now the bluetooth in the car has seized. I can't get "BT Pairing" to appear on the Business CD and tried every way I could find on this forum. The blackberry and phone can't find the car but the phone runs the car speaker when I make a call from the unit. Weird.

I went to the dealer this morning and was told that since the 8310 wasn't an approved BMW device (the 8320 is) it may have seized the module. But I was also told that it may be reading to the old Blackberry or phone and needs may need a reset.

The dealer charges $250 for the reset and it may or may not work.

Is there a way I can reset the module myself and start from scratch? I would really appreciate any ideas, the dealer said this wasn't uncommon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine module seized once, it fixed itself after a few hours (i.e. overnight) with the car off. Otherwise try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine did the same thing when pairing an LG phone that was not compatible. I disconneted the plug from the bluetooth module, waited about a minute and reconnected. It reset and has worked perfectly with my BlackBerry Storm since. I have a vert so the module was located at the front of the trunk to the left of the subwoofer (driver's side). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bluetooth Module

Thanks for the tip. Can you explain what the module looks like? I have a wagon an all those electronics are easy to get to. But I don't want to unplug the wrong one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ULF Pics

The ULF module is a small rectangular aluminum box with 3 mounting tabs. There is an electrical plug on the left (side with 2 mounting tabs) and antenna connector on the right (side with 1 mounting tab). I have attached pics of my ULF, it is the module to the front (the one behind it in the pic is the sirius radio). Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

This is great. It's not visible anywhere I've been looking. But I will find it and let you know how it goes. This is the best idea I've gotten so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally found the module

I found the picture below on another site, someone with a similar issue. The module is behind the Bluetooth antenna, the little square box to the upper left of the bin that holds accessory electronics. You have to remove all the felt behind the antenna. I can just see the module but only one screw is holding the antenna. Once that's out I should have a clear shot at it. I will try this when I get home.

Here's the picture: Auto part Technology Electronics Vehicle Machine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Luck

No luck with the module and I even pulled the telephone fuses too. Problem now is I'm not even sure I re-connected the module correctly. This type of thing is not my strong suit (obviously). It occured to me AFTER that I should have taken a picture before disconnecting!

Too bad, I loved having Bluetooth in the car but think I've met my match. Thanks for the help N Sievers.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
No luck with the module and I even pulled the telephone fuses too. Problem now is I'm not even sure I re-connected the module correctly. This type of thing is not my strong suit (obviously). It occured to me AFTER that I should have taken a picture before disconnecting!

Too bad, I loved having Bluetooth in the car but think I've met my match. Thanks for the help N Sievers.
There are only 2 connections on the Bluetooth ULF. How could you not have plugged it back in right??

Can you get the ULF into pairing mode? Forget about your phone right now...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 Connections on Module

There are 3 connection ports on the side I can access. Two, one on top of the other and then a third, up slightly and to the right. I thought they were both one on top of the other with the blue connection on top. But while the purple connection did go into the bottom, the blue connection only fit on the 3rd connection port. This may be fine since they connected easily, but not what I remembered. Before this I was able to have an old Motorola phone work through the bluetooth speaker (but not find the car) - now that doesn't work either.

The car was built in November, 2005 and from what I've read, this may be a Bluetooth/BMW Assist Module. I had the assist cancelled when I bought the car.

I have the Business CD and can't get the Bluetooth to enter BT Pairing mode. Until I got the new Blackberry I was able to pair without a hitch.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
There are 3 connection ports on the side I can access. Two, one on top of the other and then a third, up slightly and to the right. I thought they were both one on top of the other with the blue connection on top. But while the purple connection did go into the bottom, the blue connection only fit on the 3rd connection port. This may be fine since they connected easily, but not what I remembered. Before this I was able to have an old Motorola phone work through the bluetooth speaker (but not find the car) - now that doesn't work either.

The car was built in November, 2005 and from what I've read, this may be a Bluetooth/BMW Assist Module. I had the assist cancelled when I bought the car.

I have the Business CD and can't get the Bluetooth to enter BT Pairing mode. Until I got the new Blackberry I was able to pair without a hitch.
Just grab a new TCU. $300.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From SI B 84 21 07 (see: http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t72563.html)

Diagnostic tips for resolving communication issues after an unapproved handset has been paired to the vehicle

The following sequential actions may be required to resolve the inoperative state:
1. Power down the unapproved handset and remove the handset from the vicinity of the vehicle. Wait several minutes. This will allow the internal timer of the TCU to reset. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to step 2.
2. Allow the vehicle to assume sleep mode. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to step 3.
3. Allow the vehicle to assume sleep mode and then disconnect the battery for 16 minutes.

Aside: I think it takes 16 minutes for the car to go to sleep. Opening the trunk/door, unlocking, etc will wake it back up. If it really needs to be asleep, then I guess you would need to have the trunk open, etc. and wait for 16 minutes. Then disconnect the battery.
-------------------------
You also might be interested in the pdf here:
http://www.x5world.com/attachments/x5-e53-forum/31272d1237529207-how-activate-bluetooth-sib-84-22-05.pdf

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks for all this information, especially the service bulletin. Something I didn't think to mention is that the day after I got the new Blackberry the car went to the dealer for a minor service - and the bluetooth hasn't worked since. I can't remember if I tried the Blackberry before bringing the car in. I went back to the dealer and asked my service advisor, who's always treated me well if they could have done anything during the service to cause the bluetooth to kick. He assured me there could have been nothing.

I'll try the battery idea and if that doesn't work see what BMW assist would cost, not that I need it but might be worthwhile if it gets me back to where I was.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Many thanks for all this information, especially the service bulletin. Something I didn't think to mention is that the day after I got the new Blackberry the car went to the dealer for a minor service - and the bluetooth hasn't worked since. I can't remember if I tried the Blackberry before bringing the car in. I went back to the dealer and asked my service advisor, who's always treated me well if they could have done anything during the service to cause the bluetooth to kick. He assured me there could have been nothing.

I'll try the battery idea and if that doesn't work see what BMW assist would cost, not that I need it but might be worthwhile if it gets me back to where I was.
I'd take it right back to the dealer and give them the "it worked when I dropped it off and now it isnt" line. They probably f-ed up the coding somehow. I went to a dealer a few months ago, they did an Inspection II... When I got my car back the the alarm didn't work... I took it back in and they simply reflashed it and played dumb about how it happened...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree with sna77, you can ask the Dealer if they would look at it since it worked before you brought it in. They might do it as a favor, unlikely as it is there would be any connection.

On another point, you should try to establish whether your TCU is actually working at all. The second link in my post above is a to service bulletin that mentions a document "B842205_IK-bus." at the bottom. I believe this document (the link in the pdf is broken unfortunately) explains how to reprogram the Assist phone within the TCU by holding down the 2 Assist buttons under flap on the (square) review mirror for about 10-12 seconds. In my poking around I found this document and I thought the link above would allow you to get it, but it doesn't. You can find that document on the web as I had it the other day.

I don't have an Assist subscription and I tried this on my car. After a bit of thrashing, I got the "reprogramming your phone" message from Verizon and then about a minute later another message about updating roaming and features. This showed me that the Assist part of my TCU is working fine even though I don't subscribe to Assist. After that for fun I hit the Assist button and an operator answered and offered to help me (eek! :yikes:), I told her no thanks, it was an mistaken call. :facepalm:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new car warranty expired in April and I'm now under the CPO version. My treatment from the dealer now reflects this and my sense is I'm out of favors.

On the upside, while stuck in traffic this morning I played around with the SOS button on the rearview mirror and found the fold down flap with the 2 assist buttons! I would never have thought to look for anything there. Still searching around for the related service bulletin, no luck so far but I'll find it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My new car warranty expired in April and I'm now under the CPO version. My treatment from the dealer now reflects this and my sense is I'm out of favors.

On the upside, while stuck in traffic this morning I played around with the SOS button on the rearview mirror and found the fold down flap with the 2 assist buttons! I would never have thought to look for anything there. Still searching around for the related service bulletin, no luck so far but I'll find it.
Following this link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154301
Try this process and see what happens (at least steps 1-3):

1. Simultaneously press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button and the mayday "SOS" button for greater than 8 seconds. The TCU will automatically place two calls approximately 20 seconds apart.

* First call - "*22890" will be displayed on the radio or status line on the Board Monitor (BM). The TCU will make a connection to network provider. A verbal message will be heard that the phone is being programmed. At the end of the programming, a message should be heard that the phone was successfully programmed.

* Second call - "*22891" will be displayed on the radio or status line on the Board Monitor (BM). The TCU will make a connection to network provider. A verbal message will be heard that the roaming capabilities are being updated. At the end of the call, a message should be heard that the roaming capabilities were successfully updated.

2. If you do not hear the message that either of the calls were successfully completed, the process must be repeated.

3. Switch the ignition off for 10 seconds. The new MIN and MDN will then be imported into the TCU.

4. Test the BMW Assist™ service for proper operation by placing a test call (press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button). Make sure the BMW Assist Response Center has received the correct MIN/MDN, VIN and location for the vehicle. Have the representative update their records as needed.

5. The vehicle must be located within the Verizon Wireless network for the above reactivation procedure to work properly. See the attachment to SI B84 15 03 for list of centers located outside this network. If the vehicle is not in the Verizon Wireless network perform steps one and two and then follow these additional steps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news/bad news. I was able to connect with BMW assist by pressing the 'SOS' button so we can I assume the TCU works and that I put all the wiring back together correctly at the module. By saying "renew" once connected, I was able to get to a customer service person (through the car's system. She was very nice and able to locate the car and give me the VIN number. She didn't know what a MIN was but did say my MDN wasn't updated and she couldn't do it remotely. In fact she didn't know how it was done. The assist is $199, offers little and I don't think will have any affect on the Bluetooth.

When that was done I tried the whole pairing again, both at the car and with the Blackberry but no luck. However I was able to make a call through the car with an old Motorola V7 that's not activated, but did reach a Verizon voice message. The phone found the TCU (Moto) not the car which looks something like BMWxxxx.

I feel like we've isolated this to a bluetooth issue within in the car that should be able to be re-set somehow. Very curious.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When that was done I tried the whole pairing again, both at the car and with the Blackberry but no luck. However I was able to make a call through the car with an old Motorola V7 that's not activated, but did reach a Verizon voice message. The phone found the TCU (Moto) not the car which looks something like BMWxxxx.

I feel like we've isolated this to a bluetooth issue within in the car that should be able to be re-set somehow. Very curious.
This implies to me that the bluetooth is working as the old V7 sees it. There is no real reset that I know of and I don't think that would matter (as the V7 works). The conclusion is then your new phone and the TCU are not compatible or something is not set up correctly on the phone as there are no configuration options on the TCU.

I suggest you try pairing the Blackberry with a computer via bluetooth to make sure the phone is working correctly and that you have the pairing procedure with this phone worked out. Also check that the phone is running the latest firmware. Finally if all that fails you may have success with a newer TCU, but that's a lot of $ to shell out for something that may not work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts