BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looking for some info from more experienced members....

Can someone confirm for me please whether a bluetooth module from an E9x will work in an E46?

Part numbers that I've found are:

84109122446-01

84109181276-01

Thanks in advance for your help...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi guys
Looking for some info from more experienced members....
Can someone confirm for me please whether a bluetooth module from an E9x will work in an E46?

Part numbers that I've found are:
84109122446-01
84109181276-01

Thanks in advance for your help...
Look them up in realoem.com. You'll see that
84109122446 and 84109181276 are for E90 cars which are optical fiber MOST bus cars. The electronic modules are completely incompatible with E46 copper wire iBus cars.

Consult this list for TCU/ULF part numbers:
iBus TCU and ULF Part numbers

Also read this:
Description of bluetooth TCU and ULFs for E46 cars.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
profM3 thanks very much for the info.

I had a look through the posts that you link to above and have the following question... I am being offered a bluetooth TCU part number 84116945940-01. I've seen pictures of it and it does have the bluetooth logo / pass key etc labelled. According to your list you're unsure of whether bluetooth works on it, and you mention that it would be for US only (correct?).

Would this device work in an Aus spec car? I am pre-wired for bluetooth and have an M3 wheel with 'the talking man' button.

If it works, it's a great alternative to going to the ULF route...

Thanks....

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am almost sure that 84116945940 will not work. There was a period of time in model year 2004 cars where bluetooth modules were installed that had the bluetooth logo on the sticker and even had pairing code on them but the bluetooth circuitry did not work. BMW even gave people a card with the bluetooth pairing code when they bought their car but later had to admit that their cars didn't have bluetooth. Bluetooth was not functional in the TCU until model year 2005 cars (build dates 9/2004 and later) There is a BMW service bulletin on this. For bluetooth you need a TCU with a build date after 9/2004 (i.e. 2005 model year cars).

All that said there are CDMA (USA) and GSM (Euro) TCU modules. In the US only CDMA bluetooth modules work, even though you'd think for the bluetooth it wouldn't matter whether it was CDMA or GSM. Also we have both CDMA and GSM networks in the US (Verizon and AT&T for example) but BMW uses the Verizon CDMA network for their TCUs. I have no idea what the situation is in Australia for this aspect. Sorry.

If you can get TCU from a 2005 model or later E46, X3 or Z4 it should work. These are all iBus cars (not the brand new Z4 hard top convertible). After the upcoming X3 revision, all BMWs will be MOST bus based.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's no wonder you're The Professor!

Thank you kindly, it's much appreciated.

Rgds

Ali

·
Registered
622 Posts
Since I have this part number in my trunk, I don't have bluetooth? That's ridiculous. My build date is 04/04 and the part number in the trunk is 84116945940-01.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
Since I have this part number in my trunk, I don't have bluetooth? That's ridiculous. My build date is 04/04 and the part number in the trunk is 84116945940-01.
Nope... I bought a new e46 in 2004, and was told the BT would work and then when it didn't, was told a free fix was coming... it never did... A year later, I dropped $1k to add Bluetooth to the card. What a joke that was...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts