BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a bluetooth hands-free phone kit in my 2002 330i. I've looked at the Motorola IHF1000, Parrot CK3100 and the BMW option kit. I've seen adaptors to interface the aftermarket kits to the radio and steering wheel controls. Any advice on which of these is the best? Is there another kit I should consider?

·
Registered
41 Posts
if anyone can provide or update this it will be a great help due to new laws in jersey about using cell phone..... Think it may be time to get one in my car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have installed the Parrot kit you mentioned with the steering wheel interface from Parrot.

It is far and away the best. Sound quality is award winning via a hi-spec DSP and compatibility is amazing - widest range out there, more than the BMW.
You dial via voice commands which are pretty accurate. You record one voice tag per person (or multiple for home/office/mobile etc) and then just say that name and it auto dials. It will also say that name back on incoming calls as an audible caller ID. Some phones allow direct phonebook access and don't even need voice tag allocation - uses the phones speech recognition. Plus you don't have to have any control on display with the steering wheel adapter so it's 100% invisible.

The BMW will no doubt be good and lets you browse your phone book on your head unit but it's kind of clunky and lacks the phone support of the Parrot and takes longer to install, especially if you're not pre-wired for Bluetooth / BMW telephony, plus costs about 4 times as much. If you're doing a retrofit of new or used parts you may also need to have it all coded up at a dealer, though not always. Dealer install from scratch will be crazy money.

If you're banked up and like the phonebook-on-stereo display thing go BMW.

If you just need a high quality hands free in the car via Bluetooth go Parrot.

The Motorola doesn't come into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts