E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/buzz/news.htm?article=136

Looks like BMW made a kit that is compatible with Assist.

This is good news...but pisses me off on 2 counts.

1. I just took delivery of my 2005 330ci. Of course, too early for bluetooth.
2. I just ordered the Assist2BT kit from Martin Bishop at bimmernav.

Sheesh. Talk about poor timing. :cry:

-Psy
What is the production date of your 330Ci? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
R1man1963 said:
I wouldn;t feel too bad cause Assist is worthless IMO
I would not go as far as saying that is worthless... just the feature of calling emergency services if your airbag deploys is worth its price. :hmm:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
Not really sure. I ordered in mid September and just picked it up on 11/1/04.

Love the car.

-Psy
Have you seen this BMWNA press release?

Bluetooth technology for hands free calling is available on all Model Year 2005 vehicles from Start Of Production, with the following exceptions:
The 3 Series sedan includes Bluetooth from 9/04-production on (325i sedan from South Africa from 10/04-production on). The 3 Series sedan MY05 SOP is 8/04.
• The 7 Series comes standard with the CPT9000 Motorola phone and will not offer Bluetooth until 3/05."

"What is needed to make it work? To make it work, all that is needed is a compatible Bluetooth phone and a pairing procedure the customer can complete. Bluetooth vehicles are shipped fully activated to your BMW center, requiring no further activation or installation. Initial pairing is necessary to create a private wireless connection between the Bluetooth phone and the vehicle. Pairing for a given device is needed only once; all subsequent Bluetooth connections will occur automatically each time the phone is in the vehicle. Up to four paired phones are kept in memory. If more than four phones are paired, the oldest phone pairings will be replaced."

"Vehicle---Bluetooth Standard With
3 Series (except 330Ci Convertible)---Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
330Ci Convertible---BMW Assist (SA639)
5 Series---Standard
6 Series---Standard
7 Series---Not available at least until 3/05
X3 SAV---Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
X5 SAV (except X5 4.8is)---Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
X5 4.8is---Standard
Z4 Roadster---Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
M3 Coupe---Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
M3 Convertible---Standard"
Maybe you already had Bluetooth and Assist... :dunno:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Psy,

Thought I'd share my experience with you, hopefully my pain can help :p

I also have a 2005 330Ci, picked it up in the second week of October.

From the info I've been forwarded in a BMW service bulletin (and as verified from previous post), start of production for 330 coupes was September and therefore all 2005 330 coupes with either assist or premium package, have Bluetooth funtionality built-in at the factory. Some of the early production cars may not have had it activated at the port, as BMW had not rolled out the news uniformly at the time. You should try to pair your phone to your car using the phone's "find handsfree devices" function, I believe you need to do it during the first two minutes of engine start while the car is in discoverable mode. If the phone doesn't find the car, yours may not have been activated (or your phone may not be compatible). Your dealership should be able to activate it with some software from BMW, I'm scheduled to bring mine in for activation next Tuesday. I have the list of phones that are compatible somewhere, if there's interest, let me know and I'll dig it up. Hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to try this tomorrow... I didn't find a pairing button anywhere or anything though.

I have Premium (and thus assist) so I guess in theory, I should have bluetooth.

Any idea how to verify that the hardware is in place? My dealer is rather clueless when it comes to bluetooth.

Thanks,
Psy.

Lothar said:
Hey Psy,

Thought I'd share my experience with you, hopefully my pain can help :p

I also have a 2005 330Ci, picked it up in the second week of October.

From the info I've been forwarded in a BMW service bulletin (and as verified from previous post), start of production for 330 coupes was September and therefore all 2005 330 coupes with either assist or premium package, have Bluetooth funtionality built-in at the factory. Some of the early production cars may not have had it activated at the port, as BMW had not rolled out the news uniformly at the time. You should try to pair your phone to your car using the phone's "find handsfree devices" function, I believe you need to do it during the first two minutes of engine start while the car is in discoverable mode. If the phone doesn't find the car, yours may not have been activated (or your phone may not be compatible). Your dealership should be able to activate it with some software from BMW, I'm scheduled to bring mine in for activation next Tuesday. I have the list of phones that are compatible somewhere, if there's interest, let me know and I'll dig it up. Hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Psychomancer said:
Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth.

That's in the press release. Maybe I'm an early model. It would be cool if I already had bluetooth in my car. It would be a pain in the a$$ though to have to return or sell off all the hardware I just purchased.

-Psy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
That's in the press release. Maybe I'm an early model. It would be cool if I already had bluetooth in my car. It would be a pain in the a$$ though to have to return or sell off all the hardware I just purchased.

-Psy
According to the official press release, all 09/04 production 3 Series are equipped with Bluetooth when equipped with Assist, with the convertible M3 having it standard. The only exceptions are certain 325i sedans of South Africa manufacture (production started 10/04) and the 330i sedans (production started 08/04) which were produced outside the 09/04 month.

I do not think that your car is an exception because you ordered it already inside the 09/04 production month, I think that (as Lothar says) your car is simply not coded. Also, there is no pairing button anymore in the 09/04 because the new module is now doing it automatically. :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good lord. I can't wait to get home to try this. Makes me regret the decision to take the bus everyday instead of drive!

I should quit being cheap and just pay for parking.

-Psy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
From the way I read the bulletin, BMW didn't make any coupes until September, therefore all 2005 coupes (with either assist or premium packages) should have bluetooth. The only 05s that may not have it, are the sedans (because they were started in August, or the 325's from South Africa), or the convertibles.

As far as pairing goes, you need to scan for BT devices using your phone within the first two minutes of starting your car. The car is discoverable during this period. You will need to use the BT passkey that should have come on a white card with your car.

If you can't find it, it should be on the Assist module in your trunk. This is also how you can verify you have the hardware. If you remove the left side panel in the trunk (take out the black plugs, both the inside piece and outside piece), and then remove the carpeted lining, you should see the assist module. You need to remove about six screws, unplug all the plugs on the module, and pull it out. The label on it should have a bluetooth symbol and the BT passkey which you need to pair to the car. You should also see two connections on the back of the module, mine were grey and tan. One is for the Sharkfin antenna, and the other is the bluetooth antenna in the center console. If you have both connections plugged in, your module has the bluetooth symbol and is a fairly recent build date (my module was manufacted in May of 04), you should be pretty well convinced you're dialed in from a hardware perspective.

If all this looks fine and your phone still can't find the car, it probably wasn't activated at the VPC. YOu will need to get your dealer to order the software and program the car for you. I'll be the first at my dealership to have this done next week, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Hope it works out for you :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweetness! (almost)

Lothar said:
Hope it works out for you :thumbup:
All right fanatics! So I tried it out. Turned key to second stop, told my phone to search for BT devices, and Viola! It detected an "unknown" device. Has to be my car!!

Pulled out the BT card in my manual, punched in the code, and BAM. Connection, baby. Turned off the power, waited for a minute, then turned on again. Pushed the R/T button (or was it the speak button??) and the phone and car started talking. Yes!

Unfortunately, whenever I try to do anything, the phone gets stuck on "Loading Phonebook!!!" I can't get any further. I have a SonyEriccson T630 with T-Mobile. Anyone with some experience would be greatly appreciated.

At the very least, this is verification that 2005 Ci with Assists come standard with Bluetooth, even if your dealer has no clue!

Now I just have to talk to Martin at BimmerNav.com. See if I can return the ULF module I just ordered.

Enjoy the BT, 2005 owners!

I'll post more if I ever get my phone working with the car.

-Psy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
All right fanatics! So I tried it out. Turned key to second stop, told my phone to search for BT devices, and Viola! It detected an "unknown" device. Has to be my car!!

Pulled out the BT card in my manual, punched in the code, and BAM. Connection, baby. Turned off the power, waited for a minute, then turned on again. Pushed the R/T button (or was it the speak button??) and the phone and car started talking. Yes!

Unfortunately, whenever I try to do anything, the phone gets stuck on "Loading Phonebook!!!" I can't get any further. I have a SonyEriccson T630 with T-Mobile. Anyone with some experience would be greatly appreciated.

At the very least, this is verification that 2005 Ci with Assists come standard with Bluetooth, even if your dealer has no clue!

Now I just have to talk to Martin at BimmerNav.com. See if I can return the ULF module I just ordered.

Enjoy the BT, 2005 owners!

I'll post more if I ever get my phone working with the car.

-Psy
Nice... check this site for Bluetooth phone compatibility with the BMW system. I did not see you T630 phone in that list, though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jackpot!

Jackpot!

The phone works perfectly. Turns out there's a known issue with SE T610, T630, T637 phones with the BMW bluetooth. The first phonebook sync takes about 40 minutes. After that, each time, it's only a few seconds.

I just had to wait it out. Dailing from the nav, steering wheel, and recieving calls. Perfect. My girlfriend says that the call quality from the car is even better than directly from the handset!

I love this car.

Anyone know if voice dial is supposed to work?

MY05 - "Free" integrated bluetooth: Just another reason why BMW kicks arse!

-Psy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a UK Spec 320d (diesel) which I picked up 2 weeks ago. We aren't as lucky as you and had to buy the factory fit bluetooth as an extra.

I have the SE T610 (US T616 I think) but I think the bluetooth is terrible !! Certainly not worth the £600 I paid for it. My £30 Bluetooth Headset was much better.

It's OK up to about 50 mph but once you get above that it's impossible to communicate with the person on the other end, you repeat yourself 10 times as they hear more road noise than your conversation.

All I do is drive up and down the motorway all day for work, and I find it quite annoying slowing down to have a conversation.

:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
Jackpot!

The phone works perfectly. Turns out there's a known issue with SE T610, T630, T637 phones with the BMW bluetooth. The first phonebook sync takes about 40 minutes. After that, each time, it's only a few seconds.

I just had to wait it out. Dailing from the nav, steering wheel, and recieving calls. Perfect. My girlfriend says that the call quality from the car is even better than directly from the handset!

I love this car.

Anyone know if voice dial is supposed to work?

MY05 - "Free" integrated bluetooth: Just another reason why BMW kicks arse!

-Psy.
Congratulations! :thumbup:

Have you tried to press and hold the steering wheel button just below the R/T? If you do not hear a beep and the voice of a woman then you do not have the voice input system: you will have to buy the separate voice recognition module (84 11 01 39 765 SES Voice Input System $265.00 at Circle BMW ) It works pretty good in my M3... :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Technic said:
you will have to buy the separate voice recognition module (84 11 01 39 765 SES Voice Input System $265.00 at Circle BMW )
Good lord. $265 just for voice recognition. I don't suppose this works with the nav or anything?

I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it'll work.

-Psy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Psychomancer said:
Good lord. $265 just for voice recognition. I don't suppose this works with the nav or anything?

I'll give it a shot. Hopefully it'll work.

-Psy
It works for Nav and Phone...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since the pairing button is gone in the 05, how do you unpair (reset the bluetooth module) your phone from the bluetooth system?

On the regular bluetooth module you need the pairing button to unpair your phone from the system (holding it like 10 secs) during the pairing procedure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts