BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just something cool i found on the internet. This is the kind of thing i've been looking for and i think someone was asking about it too in another thread.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/17/peiker-bluetouchmusic-links-ipod-cellphone-to-car-stereo/

Its just a gadget that enables bluetooth in your car to receive and send phone calls, listen to music through your cell phone, ipod, or other mp3 player. It holds contact lists, addresses, caller id, IPOD menus, etc. dont know when it comes out, but Ill def be looking into this.

·
european auto source
12,581 Posts
just something cool i found on the internet. This is the kind of thing i've been looking for and i think someone was asking about it too in another thread.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/17/peiker-bluetouchmusic-links-ipod-cellphone-to-car-stereo/

Its just a gadget that enables bluetooth in your car to receive and send phone calls, listen to music through your cell phone, ipod, or other mp3 player. It holds contact lists, addresses, caller id, IPOD menus, etc. dont know when it comes out, but Ill def be looking into this.
TomTom Go 510 already does 99% of this, including Navigation - but not using A2DP:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=269&Category=0&Lid=4

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Yeah but I really want my a2dp so I can play the music from my cell phone wirelessly via bluetooth to my car stereo. I made a thread about this asking what kind of tech is out there to play music from my cell phone wirelessly to my car stereo.

·
Registered
39 Posts

This is so old and busted. :) Specifically, I don't like the idea of "professional installation", and I don't want any cheesy boxes/screens to be visible on the dash.

Here's the new hotness (also courtesy of engadget):

http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/80528854/

To use this, you'll need to install the iPod integration kit first, but that actually might make sense for me, since I do have an iPod. What's cool is that you can either listen to the iPod, or plug in this little gizmo and listen to any a2dp source. It even supports avcrp, so you can control the phone (or whatever device you are streaming from) with the buttons on the steering wheel. Cool.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is so old and busted. :) Specifically, I don't like the idea of "professional installation", and I don't want any cheesy boxes/screens to be visible on the dash.

Here's the new hotness (also courtesy of engadget):

http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/80528854/

To use this, you'll need to install the iPod integration kit first, but that actually might make sense for me, since I do have an iPod. What's cool is that you can either listen to the iPod, or plug in this little gizmo and listen to any a2dp source. It even supports avcrp, so you can control the phone (or whatever device you are streaming from) with the buttons on the steering wheel. Cool.
thas pretty cool. yea im not a fan of the professional installation and yea im all about keeping things look stock or OEM or it can look custom but has to go along with everything else if that makes any sense. Its just kinda cool cuz its got menus.

So wat exactly is this anycom thing? where does it go and how do you install it? where does it hook up to? more info plz.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So wat exactly is this anycom thing? where does it go and how do you install it? where does it hook up to? more info plz.
This gadget plugs into iPod dock connector (DICE, in case of BMW). After this thing is connected to DICE, you just pair your music phone with it, and then DICE thinks that there's an iPod connected to it. Once you plug this thing, you don't have to touch it, ever (from what I understand), so it does not matter much where do you put it. If you have an iPod and want to be able to use it as well, then it would make sense to wire DICE so that iPod dock is in an accessible location (glove compartment, euro-tray).

PS. Disclaimer: I am not sure that it will actually work as well as I am describing here. I definitely wish that it did. Unfortunately, a no-name asian gadget rushed to market could very well have many software bugs, which, combined with issues inherent to DICE (of which this board has plenty) could very well make the combination of the two unusable. I guess we'll have to wait for actual reviews to appear before actually judging this thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sounds like another gimicky gadget to me. why you want to listen to music over bluetooth from your phone? bluetooth bandwidth sucks, phone music decoding quality sucks. it's probably alot worse than trying to use ipod with fm modulator.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like another gimicky gadget to me. why you want to listen to music over bluetooth from your phone? bluetooth bandwidth sucks, phone music decoding quality sucks. it's probably alot worse than trying to use ipod with fm modulator.
Bluetooth bandwidth sucks? I dont know t0o much about it. its gotta be better than an fm modulator. Bluetooth seems to go straight from one device to another rather than FM where the signals spread everywhere and can be picked up. But i dont know, i dont know anything about it.

Bluetooth just seems better since its already built-in on my phone plus I want things to be stealthy and to seem factory. So i can go straight in my car and have my car work with my phone to make calls wirelessly and play music the same way. Its better for me to use one device to connect to my car so if its one device why nto have it be your cell phone which can make calls and play music.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant imagine it being that bad. perhaps you tried some that were really low quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep, gimmicky gadget it is.

With regards to your other points, I am not sure you know what you are talking about. JFYI: a2dp streams at 384Kbps. I did not really do scientific comparisons, but strongly suspect that recent phones do not have any mp3 decoding issues (especially the ones that are relevant for me -- treos and HTCs). And don't even get me started on fm modulators "thank you, but no, thank you".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I came across this thread because i too am looking for a bluetooth wireless solution. My father is an electrical engineer and i'm about to plop my DC800 from motorola down with the Blitzsafe XM direct connect thing to try to make them do the same thing, but this looks to be a better solution then re-inventing the wheel.

And to Steven, while your 14k gold plated monster cable might be nice, i can guarantee you that A2DP is quite fantastic as well. I mean, thats why it a "hi-fi" audio profile. I've invested about 7,000 into my home stereo. I can not tell the difference between a direct wire, or my DC800 to my Dell Axim. None at all. To be honest, i can stream XM. yes STREAM xm from the x51v to the dc800 without it sounding like its even streaming from the internet.....

So does anyone know if a bluetoth A2DP solution for a 2001 e46 is currently working? Or do i have to set up an ipod doc station even though i dont have one?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i remember posting another thread similar to A2DP like asking the same question as you were if there was a unit that can handle a2dp functionality..

EAS here at e46fanatics said that they were in the works of something like that..

heres the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=433832

hope it helps out a little.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Solution Found

6Strings

I was up ALL night last night searching for the solution to this delema. I BELIEVE i have found the answer. Actually it is the answer, i just dont know if i can have XM in conjunction with this, awaiting an answer. Fortunately for me, i have (most) of the parts to make this happen. I'll detail my items below:

This is fairly expensive, but bear with me...

A.) http://www.installer.com/aux/ product: BMWALPX ($99.99)
B.) http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-MOTOROLA-DC...yZ133238QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ($50.00)
C.)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...tegoryZ33712QQihZ010QQitemZ200079603416QQrdZ1 ($13.00)
D.) 20 foot RCA cables ($30.00) "monster 14k gold plated LOL"
E.) Verizon wireless V3C(razr)/MotoQ/ any car charger with the mini usb (39.99)

So basically, A.) will connect to your M_BUS in place of your CD changer. This allows for RCA input cables which we will run to the glove compartment.

Then you connect the RCA cables from the DC800 ouput.

Then you use the BMW aux power adaptor to use with the VZW car charger for power to the moto DC800.

-----------------------------------------
Disclaimer, this has not been tested, but i'm about 99.9% sure it will work. It has to....If you wish, i can re-post when i have it all up and runing?

i'm just waiting on an answer back from the manufacturer as to wether i can have XM as well as AUX at the same time. Would be pretty dumb to have to pull over and switch connecters to the M_Bus every time i wanted to change mediums....

·
Registered
39 Posts
6Strings

I was up ALL night last night searching for the solution to this delema. I BELIEVE i have found the answer. Actually it is the answer, i just dont know if i can have XM in conjunction with this, awaiting an answer. Fortunately for me, i have (most) of the parts to make this happen.
It'd be cool if you could post your results. A side-note: there is a BMW AUX-in kit for e46. AFAIR it's pretty much just a piece of wire and right connectors at the ends, should be fairly cheap. You can connect it in parallel with CD-changer, and you only need to route the wires from glove compartment to the head unit through the dash, no need to go all the way from trunk to glove compartment.

PS. I also thought about using this streaming gizmo from motorola, but decided that I'm too lazy/lame to pull it off. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6Strings

I was up ALL night last night searching for the solution to this delema. I BELIEVE i have found the answer. Actually it is the answer, i just dont know if i can have XM in conjunction with this, awaiting an answer. Fortunately for me, i have (most) of the parts to make this happen. I'll detail my items below:

This is fairly expensive, but bear with me...

A.) http://www.installer.com/aux/ product: BMWALPX ($99.99)
B.) http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-MOTOROLA-DC...yZ133238QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ($50.00)
C.)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...tegoryZ33712QQihZ010QQitemZ200079603416QQrdZ1 ($13.00)
D.) 20 foot RCA cables ($30.00) "monster 14k gold plated LOL"
E.) Verizon wireless V3C(razr)/MotoQ/ any car charger with the mini usb (39.99)

So basically, A.) will connect to your M_BUS in place of your CD changer. This allows for RCA input cables which we will run to the glove compartment.

Then you connect the RCA cables from the DC800 ouput.

Then you use the BMW aux power adaptor to use with the VZW car charger for power to the moto DC800.

-----------------------------------------
Disclaimer, this has not been tested, but i'm about 99.9% sure it will work. It has to....If you wish, i can re-post when i have it all up and runing?

i'm just waiting on an answer back from the manufacturer as to wether i can have XM as well as AUX at the same time. Would be pretty dumb to have to pull over and switch connecters to the M_Bus every time i wanted to change mediums....

wow nicee job! yea seems kind of expensive.. and im kinda iffy on how well itll work considering on the variety of units and the differences in brands.. but let me know how it works out.

i might be considering to just save up and get a double din nav unit and maybe buy some type of Bluetooth module that can hook up to it..

i unno wats the best Nav units out there.. im thinkin either the pioneer Z1, or other in dash pioneer units, or the eclipse 5495 cuz its got the hard drive...

·
Registered
431 Posts
It'd be cool if you could post your results. A side-note: there is a BMW AUX-in kit for e46. AFAIR it's pretty much just a piece of wire and right connectors at the ends, should be fairly cheap. You can connect it in parallel with CD-changer, and you only need to route the wires from glove compartment to the head unit through the dash, no need to go all the way from trunk to glove compartment.

PS. I also thought about using this streaming gizmo from motorola, but decided that I'm too lazy/lame to pull it off. :)
I use the AUX in connector with my Motoroloa SLVR and sounds pretty good. There are a few significant advantages other than $$ not mentioned using a wire in lieu of a wireless solution (i.e bluetooth): battery life, audio quality Wireless communications of any sort drains significant power from portable devices. You could charge your wireless device while streaming however if you do it seems to me you havent actually gained any advantage. There is is still a wire. Any signal transmitted wirelessly is far more prone to noise than across a wire, which can lead to a degradation of audio quality in varying environments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the AUX in connector with my Motoroloa SLVR and sounds pretty good. There are a few significant advantages other than $$ not mentioned using a wire in lieu of a wireless solution (i.e bluetooth): battery life, audio quality Wireless communications of any sort drains significant power from portable devices. You could charge your wireless device while streaming however if you do it seems to me you havent actually gained any advantage. There is is still a wire. Any signal transmitted wirelessly is far more prone to noise than across a wire, which can lead to a degradation of audio quality in varying environments.
There are disadvantages too -- you loose steering wheel controls when you go through AUX. The wire coming out of glove compartment is ugly. :) (Compared to the charger wire coming out of center console).

A2DP is digital, there is no degradation due to radio noise -- you either hear the music, or you don't. Oh, and AUX inputs are not necessarily devoid of noise either -- the one in my camry works fine with iPod, but when I use Treo650, there is a ghastly noise whenever cellular call is initiated nearby...

In the end there is no THE best solution. Everybody needs to weigh pros and cons of various options, and decide for themselves.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts